Lockerbie bomber found at mother’s houseAugust 29th, 2011 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 29 (IANS) The man who bombed a flight over Scotland’s Lockerbie killing 270 people and was released from jail on compassionate grounds has been tracked down to his mother’s house in Tripoli following reports that he had fled with Muammar Gaddafi.
Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, 59, was found at his mother’s posh villa in the Libyan capital, The Sun reported.
Cancer-affected al-Megrahi was in coma and on an intravenous drip.
Al-Megrahi was convicted in the bombing of the Pan Am Flight 103 over Scotland in 1988.
He was released from a Scottish jail on compassionate grounds in 2009, and returned to a hero’s welcome in Libya.
Al-Megrahi was found after neighbours in Tripoli directed CNN to a luxury home fitted with security cameras and floodlights.
Relatives said they rescued him from hospital a few days ago and took him home. They said he was close to death and claimed they got no help from the Gaddafi regime.
“He’s stopped eating and some times he is in a coma. We just give him oxygen. Nobody gives us any advice. There is no doctor. We don’t have any phone line to call anybody,” his son Khaled was quoted as saying.
Libyan rebels are now refusing to extradite al-Megrahi to Britain to serve out the rest of his life sentence for the plane bombing.
Rebel justice minister Mohammed al-Alagi said: “Libya has never extradited or handed over its citizens to a foreign country. We shall continue with this principle.”
- 1988 Lockerbie bomber al-Megrahi dies in Tripoli - May 20, 2012
- 'Lockerbie bomber close to dying' - Dec 09, 2010
- U.S. presidential candidate Romney calls on Libyan rebels to extradite Lockerbie bomber - Aug 23, 2011
- Lockerbie bomber escapes with Gaddafi? - Aug 26, 2011
- Libyan Justice Minister Al-Jleil says Gaddafi ordered Lockerbie bombing - Feb 23, 2011
- Blair met Gaddafi aide before Lockerbie bomber's release - Sep 25, 2011
- Colonel Gaddafi personally ordered Lockerbie bombing: Ex- Justice Minister - Feb 24, 2011
- Gaddafi must face Lockerbie trial, says acquitted man - Aug 28, 2011
- UK feared Col Gaddafi 'could cut off its knees' if Lockerbie bomber was not released - Dec 08, 2010
- 'UK pressurised Scotland to release Lockerbie bomber over oil deal between BP-Libya' - Dec 22, 2010
- Lockerbie bomber's family to sue Scotland over 'medical neglect' in jail: Gaddafi - Dec 03, 2010
- Lockerbie bomber Megrahi speaks English with Scottish accent - Aug 22, 2010
- Britain advised Libya on Lockerbie bomber's release: WikiLeaks - Feb 01, 2011
- Libya to celebrate anniversary of Lockerbie bomber's release - Aug 16, 2010
- Scottish officials skeptical about Lockerbie Bomber being close to death - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: abdelbaset, alagi, cnn, compassionate grounds, extradite, floodlights, gaddafi regime, intravenous drip, justice minister, libyan capital, life sentence, lockerbie, luxury home, minister mohammed, muammar gaddafi, neighbours, pan am flight 103, scottish jail, security cameras, son khaled