Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan advance in Champions LeagueNovember 27th, 2008 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
Hamburg, Nov 27 (DPA) English and Spanish clubs completed their Champions League charge when Liverpool and Atletico Madrid swept into the knockout phase. Italian champions Inter Milan also progressed to join Serie A rivals Juventus in the last 16 despite a 1-0 defeat at home to Panathinaikos.
Liverpool joined defending champions Manchester United and Arsenal in the last 16 with a 1-0 win over Olympique Marseille, while Atletico complete a Spanish quartet including city rivals Real Madrid, Barcelona and Villareal by beating PSV Eindhoven 2-1.
However, last season’s losing finalists Chelsea will have to wait after being held 1-1 at Girondins Bordeaux.
Italian side Roma are close to progressing after a 3-1 win at Romanian side Cluj, but Germany’s Werder Bremen were a casualty after a 2-2 draw at Anorthosis Famagusta.
Thirteen teams have now advanced to the knockout stage, with German champions Bayern Munich, two-time winner Porto, Lyon and Sporting Lisbon making up the up the roll-call.
- Champions League: Barcelona trounce Basel; Sporting win - Oct 23, 2008
- Real and Juventus meet in toughest Champions League group - Aug 29, 2008
- Panathinaikos surprise; Drogba helps Chelsea win in Champions League - Dec 10, 2008
- Barcelona registers late win as Inter and Chelsea draw - Oct 02, 2008
- Real shine under Ramos; Manchester held in Champions League - Dec 11, 2008
- Four-goal Bayern crush Juve; joy for Real, AC Milan, CSKA - Dec 09, 2009
- Barca, Real seek Champions League revenge - Nov 02, 2009
- Good wins for Juventus, Hamburg and Liege, Liverpool lose - Mar 12, 2010
- Europa League: Manchester United edge out Ajax, Valencia beat Stoke - Feb 24, 2012
- Barcelona, Inter seal knock-out place; Stuttgart off to flyer - Dec 10, 2009
- Chelsea eye Torres swap deal - Feb 17, 2012
- Atletico Madrid asks fans not to travel to Marseille - Dec 02, 2008
- Red Cards dominate Europa League action - Nov 06, 2009
- Kaka to miss Marseille trip with groin strain - Dec 07, 2009
- Early exits beckon for Champions League big guns - Nov 23, 2009