Little wine may be way to healthier heartDecember 5th, 2008 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 5 (IANS) Moderate wine intake may be the way to a healthier heart, as it is associated with higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids which protects the vital organ, a new study suggests.Omega-3 fatty acids, mainly derived from fish, are considered as protective against coronary heart disease and sudden cardiac death, thus their high blood concentration is definitely good for our health, the study said.
The study suggests that wine does better than other alcoholic drinks. This effect could be ascribed to compounds other than alcohol itself, representing a key to understanding the mechanism lying behind heart protection in moderate wine drinkers.
The IMMIDIET study examined 1,604 individuals from three geographical areas: south-west London in England, Limburg in Belgium and Abruzzo in Italy.
Thanks to close cooperation with general practitioners of these areas, all participants underwent a comprehensive medical examination, including a one year recall food frequency questionnaire to assess their dietary intake, alcohol consumption included.
Now European researchers found that moderate alcohol drinking acts like a ‘trigger’, boosting the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in our body, said an IMMIDIET release.
“Several studies have shown that moderate alcohol consumption, including wine, is associated with protection against coronary heart disease and ischemic stroke - said Romina di Giuseppe, co-author of the study, from the Research Laboratories at Catholic University of Campobasso.
These findings will be published in the January issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- A glass of wine a day can keep heart healthy - Dec 05, 2008
- Omega-3 fatty acids limit smoking damage - Apr 22, 2012
- Wine's role ambiguous in protecting heart - Jan 31, 2012
- Binge drinking doubles heart attack risk - Nov 25, 2010
- Moderate drinkers 'are healthier than teetotallers' - May 20, 2010
- Moderate-to-heavy alcohol intake may increase risk of abnormal heart rhythm - Feb 15, 2011
- Study: Red Wine is good for your health - Nov 12, 2010
- Eating citrus fruit may lower stroke risk - Feb 24, 2012
- Binge drinking linked to coronary heart disease - Dec 03, 2010
- Moderate drinkers are healthier than teetotallers - May 23, 2010
- Moderate fish consumption 'cuts heart failure risk' - Dec 19, 2009
- Heavy drinking linked to lower coronary heart disease risk - Apr 28, 2011
- Obesity, not alcohol, greater risk for fatty liver - May 31, 2011
- A Glass of wine a day to keep flab away - Aug 18, 2011
- Peg or two lowers risk of liver disease - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: 3 fatty acids, american journal of clinical nutrition, coronary heart disease, food frequency questionnaire, journal of clinical nutrition, moderate alcohol consumption, moderate wine, omega 3 fatty acids, south west london, sudden cardiac death