Lightning-struck girl saved by her iPodJune 19th, 2009 - 5:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jun 19 (ANI): A teenage girl, who was sheltering from a storm beneath a tree, survived a devastating lightning strike after her iPod, which was round her neck, diverted the 300,000-volt surge that hit her.
Sophie Frost, 14, received just minor burns and singed hair as the bolt zipped through the headphone wire hanging from her school uniform, scorching her clothes but missing all her vital organs.
She was rushed to a specialist burns unit, where doctors said that they were confident she would make a full recovery, and that too without even a scar.
“I don’t remember a thing about what happened, but from what everyone tells me it’s a miracle I’m still here,” the Sun quoted Sophie as saying on June 18.
“Everybody’s said the iPod must have diverted the lightning away from my body, which probably saved my life. I’ve got a few burns, but it’s all healing OK,” she said.
Sophie, of Southend, Essex, was holding hands with boyfriend Mason Billington, 14, when the lightning struck them in Rayleigh.
Both were knocked unconscious and Mason suffered eye damage, although it is hoped this will not be permanent.
“I just thank God my daughter is still alive,” Sophie’s mum Julie said.
“The doctors say her iPod saved her. Her nan only bought it a few days ago. Luckily, she wasn’t actually wearing the headphones. If she had been, she might not be here today.
“Mind you, the only thing Sophie seemed worried about was that her new iPod was frazzled,” she added. (ANI)
- Schoolgirl wins right to use iPod in exams - May 23, 2011
- A girl uses iPod to prevent kidnapping - Oct 31, 2010
- Apple recalls first-gen iPod nano - Nov 13, 2011
- Leann Rimes out of rehab - Sep 08, 2012
- New 'Headphone Hoodie' lets you play music from your hoodie! - Jan 12, 2011
- Kourtney Kardashian loves her big bottom - Apr 22, 2010
- iPods blamed for pedestrian death rise in NSW - Sep 06, 2010
- Jordan accused of iPod rip-off - Sep 04, 2010
- British queen now wants an iPad - May 09, 2011
- Apple set to launch smaller, lighter iPod Nano - Sep 02, 2010
- Daughter gives Kourtney sleepless nights - Jul 31, 2012
- Mom challenges family to unplug for 6 months - Jan 21, 2011
- Rihanna turns bad for 'Fast and Furious 6' - May 01, 2012
- Dannii Minogue gets iPod doll for son - Sep 07, 2011
- Gen Y not keen on saving energy: Study - May 06, 2012
Tags: billington, bolt, burns unit, doctors, eye damage, few days, headphones, holding hands, lightning strike, mason, minor burns, miracle, nan, new ipod, scar, school uniform, sophie, southend essex, teenage girl, vital organs