Lifting Carling Cup would end doubts about Arsenal, says WengerFebruary 26th, 2011 - 6:56 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb.26 (ANI): French football manager Arsene Wenger has acknowledged that winning Sunday’s Carling Cup would finally end doubts about whether Arsenal’s present squad is able to deliver silverware to the Emirates Stadium or not.
The Gunners have failed to lift a trophy since 2005, but Wenger still believes the club’s achievements in delivering consistent top-level European football cannot be undervalued.
“It is always very difficult to say whether it is harder to finish always in the top four, or to win the Carling Cup”, he said.
He said: “The most difficult is consistency at the top, and the proof of that is that only two clubs have been able to finish in the top four for each of the last 12 years, us and Manchester United.”
Wenger added: “We have a young squad and this will do much for their confidence. Winning the Carling Cup will be like beating Chelsea, like beating Barcelona - another step forward.”
Arsenal will not have the services of both captain Cesc Fabregas, who has a hamstring problem, and Theo Walcott, suffering an ankle sprain.
Wenger said: “Cesc is disappointed, but his disappointment is diminished by the fact that we have other main targets after this game, like the championship, the Champions League and the FA Cup”, The Independent reported.
He further added: “If he was playing, he could damage his participation in all the other targets after that. Of course, he accepts it with disappointment, but our job isn’t just about good things. It’s also about disappointments.” (ANI)
- Arsenal ready to sell skipper Fabregas for 35-mn pounds - Apr 27, 2011
- Arsenal's van Persie out for six weeks with knee injury - Mar 02, 2011
- Wenger to get 55 million pounds for squad overhaul - Feb 20, 2012
- Injured Fabregas pulling out all stops to play in Sunday's Carling Cup final - Feb 25, 2011
- Arsene fears more players will leave Arsenal - Sep 24, 2011
- Arsenal has no plans to part with Fabregas, Wilshere: Wenger - Apr 24, 2011
- Arsenal shouldn't get carried away by successful stint so far: Fabregas - Oct 26, 2010
- Arsenal needs to work harder to end trophy drought: Wenger - Apr 21, 2011
- Arsenal's key players seem to be cracking up: Petit - Mar 14, 2011
- Wenger says 'under-fire' Fabregas is a 'witch-hunt' victim - Feb 04, 2011
- Walcott can be injury hit Arsenal's match-winner against Barcelona at Nou Camp: Wenger - Apr 01, 2010
- Van Persie likely to miss friendly match - Feb 29, 2012
- Fabregas to remain Arsenal captain: Wenger - Jul 31, 2010
- Arsenal will not commit Champions League suicide: Jack Wilshere - Mar 07, 2011
- Walcott to miss England's World Cup qualifier against Ukraine - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,