Libyan rebels should be armed to prevent Islamic extremists takeover: Ex-UK defence chiefApril 17th, 2011 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
Tripoli, Apr 17 (ANI): Former head of the UK’s armed forces Lord Dannatt has said that arms and ammunitions should be provided to Libyan rebels who are fighting against the regime of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi to prevent Islamic extremists from taking over the country.
Lord Dannatt has urged British Prime Minister David Cameron to seek a UN resolution authorising full military support for the rebels.
“A stalemate is dangerous. It smacks of a vacuum, and into a vacuum other forces can move,” Lord Dannatt warned.
As of now, the international coalition’s strategy has been restricted to air strikes, which alone according to military commanders cannot overthrow the Gaddafi regime.
On being asked whether he had much information about the rebels, Lord Dannatt said: “What they’re critically not, as far as we can determine at the present moment, are subscribers to the Islamist agenda.”
“We don’t see the Muslim Brotherhood being particularly active. Which is why we don’t want to allow the stalemate to continue to allow that group, which is fairly organised, to move in,” he added. (ANI)
- Gaddafi plans to blow up Tripoli if captured - Jul 14, 2011
- Libyan rebels warn of a 'fight till death' with Gaddafi's loyalists - Mar 14, 2011
- US denies Gaddafi being in Niger - Sep 07, 2011
- Brit MP's fear Libya war could last for 30 years - Mar 23, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Saadi granted asylum in Niger - Sep 12, 2011
- Gaddafi brutalizes rebel forces near Tripoli, claims control of town - Mar 05, 2011
- Libyan rebels' military chief killed - Jul 29, 2011
- Rebel army formed in bid to oust Gaddafi - Feb 27, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Gaddafi's troops routed in Libyan oil port battle - Mar 03, 2011
- US unmanned Predator drones could assassinate Gaddafi: Hague - Apr 25, 2011
- Anti-Gaddafi forces claim of being offered to negotiate terms over dictator's departure - Mar 09, 2011
- US to release $1.5 bn in Libyan funds - Aug 26, 2011
- NATO forces tried to assassinate Gaddafi: Libyan official - Apr 25, 2011
- Libya heading into civil war - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: air strikes, ammunitions, british prime minister, colonel, dannatt, david cameron, gaddafi regime, international coalition, islamic extremists, military commanders, military support, minister david, muammar gaddafi, muslim brotherhood, present moment, rebels, stalemate, takeover, tripoli, uk defence