Libyan rebels kill own commander: ReportJuly 29th, 2011 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 29 (IANS) Libyan rebels assassinated their own military commander when it was found he was working as a Gaddafi double agent, a media report said.
Gen. Abdel Fattah Younes was shot dead after being arrested over suspicions that he and his family had links to the Gaddafi regime, The Sun reported.
Mustafa Abdel Jalil, chief of the rebel council, claimed Younes was killed by “assailants” after he was summoned before a judicial committee.
But a Gaddafi spokesman said Younes - who was being held at a military garrison in Benghazi - was assassinated by his own forces.
Jalil said Younes was killed alongside two of his aides - Col. Muhammad Khamis and Nasir al-Madhkur. He, however, denied reports they had been killed by the rebels themselves.
“I ask you to refrain from paying attention to rumours that Gaddafi’s forces are trying to spread within our ranks,” he said.
Younes was interior minister in the Gaddafi government before he defected. He was also part of the 1969 coup that brought Gaddafi to power.
Report said the rebels were “never comfortable” with an army leader who had been so close to Gaddafi.
Younes was also reportedly involved in a dispute over the leadership of the rebels.
- Libyan rebels' military chief killed - Jul 29, 2011
- Commander's killing Gaddafi's conspiracy: Rebel chief - Aug 07, 2011
- Libya's rebels ready for truce if Gaddafi also complies - Apr 01, 2011
- Rebels offer $1.3 mn bounty for Gaddafi - Aug 25, 2011
- Rebels tighten grip on Tripoli, capture Gaddafi's sons - Aug 22, 2011
- Libya's rebel leader wants 'fair trial' for Gaddafi - Aug 23, 2011
- Libyan rebels search for Gaddafi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- Libyan opposition hails Russia's new position over Gaddafi - May 29, 2011
- Gaddafi's wife, three children cross into Algeria - Aug 30, 2011
- Gaddafi taking refuge near hometown Sirte? - Sep 06, 2011
- Gaddafi's son warns of civil war, rebels reject talks offer (Lead) - Mar 08, 2011
- Libyan embassy in Washington re-opens under rebel government - Aug 12, 2011
- Rebels refuse to talk to Gaddafi aide - Mar 08, 2011
- Libya bloodshed: Defiant Gaddafi says he is in Tripoli (Lead) - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,