Libyan protesters storm US consulate, one personnel killed (Lead)September 12th, 2012 - 10:27 am ICT by IANS
Tripoli, Sep 12 (IANS) A US diplomatic personnel was killed Tuesday night after hundreds of protesters, agitated by an alleged US-made movie that insults the Prophet Mohammed, broke into the US consulate in Libya’s Benghazi city, an interior ministry official said.
According to Wanis Sharef, an assistant to Libya’s interior minister, the diplomats of the US mission have been evacuated to avoid clashes with the protesters. He also confirmed one diplomatic personnel was killed, Xinhua reported.
Meanwhile, local media said that another US official was injured.
Some armed men fired into the air before storming into the consulate and set it on fire, which destroyed part of the building, said witnesses, adding that some even resorted to rocket- propelled grenades in the attack.
According to witnesses, protesters rushed into the US consulate at night and set the building on fire, Xinhua earlier reported.
In Egypt, thousands of people protested in front of the US embassy in Cairo to express their anger over the movie produced by some Coptic migrants in the US.
- US consulate set ablaze in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi consulate attack (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US ambassador killed in Libya attack - Sep 12, 2012
- UN chief slams `hateful film', calls for calm - Sep 14, 2012
- Syrian opposition group decries insult to Prophet Mohammad - Sep 14, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in attack over movie (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- US ambassador killed in Libya attack (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- UN's Ban calls for restraint amid Middle East protests and violence - Sep 17, 2012
- Clinton terms anti-Islam video 'disgusting' - Sep 14, 2012
- Clashes outside US embassy in Cairo leave 200 injured - Sep 14, 2012
- India condemns attack on US consulate in Libya - Sep 13, 2012
- Obama condemns US envoy's killing in Libya - Sep 12, 2012
- 70 injured in clashes in front of US embassy in Egypt (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Anti-Islam film protests in Pakistan turn violent, at least 19 killed - Sep 22, 2012
Tags: armed men, benghazi, building on fire, clashes, diplomats, embassy in cairo, insults, interior minister, interior ministry, libya, local media, migrants, ministry official, prophet mohammed, protesters storm, rocket propelled grenades, tripoli, tuesday night, us embassy in cairo, xinhua