Libyan diplomats expelled from DenmarkAugust 10th, 2011 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Copenhagen, Aug 10 (IANS) Two remaining Libyan diplomats serving in Denmark would be sent home within the next five days, the Danish foreign minister has said.
“The two remaining diplomats are declared persona non grata,” Lene Espersen was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The two diplomats are Vice Consul Saleh Omar Abu Rwesha and Economic Affairs Attache Khaled Mansour Salem el-Asfar.
They received their marching orders at a meeting of Denmark’s foreign ministry’s protocol division Monday night, Espersen said.
Denmark initially hoped the two diplomats would switch loyalties to the Transitional National Council, which Denmark recognises as the legitimate authority in Libya.
Denmark expelled in May Libya’s Consul General Muner Eldawani who openly declared his loyalty to Muammar Gaddafi.
But the two other diplomats were allowed to stay, since they did not make any public statements about where their allegiance lies.
“They have decided to remain as diplomats chosen by Gaddafi. Therefore, we have decided to say that they must leave the country,” Espersen said.
- Britain expels Libyan envoy - May 02, 2011
- Canada's suspension of ties 'hostile' measure: Iran - Sep 09, 2012
- Danish ship taken hostage by Somali pirates - Mar 01, 2011
- Diplomat's expulsion: Venezuela to close Miami consulate - Jan 14, 2012
- Gaddafi regime condemns Britain for recognising rebels - Jul 28, 2011
- Western ambassadors unwelcome: Syria - Jun 05, 2012
- US envoy to Libya killed in Benghazi (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Australia withdraws diplomats from Libya amid unrest - Feb 27, 2011
- Morocco, Syria declare each other's envoys persona non grata - Jul 16, 2012
- Arab world simmers; Gaddafi's son warns of rivers of blood (Intro Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Arab world simmers; Gaddafi's son warns of rivers of blood (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- US expels top Venezuelan diplomat - Jan 09, 2012
- British diplomatic team reaches Tripoli - Sep 06, 2011
- Russia expels Israeli military attache for spying - May 19, 2011
- Al Qaeda backs Libya unrest amid genocide reports (Roundup) - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: allegiance, attache, consul general, denmark copenhagen, diplomats, economic affairs, foreign minister, foreign ministry, khaled, legitimate authority, lene espersen, loyalties, mansour, monday night, muammar gaddafi, protocol division, public statements, saleh, vice consul, xinhua