‘Liberal’ George Washington University plastered with anti-Muslim postersNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:58 am ICT by admin
However, the campus police removed the posters and fliers as soon as they came to know about the incident on Monday, while student bodies met to deplore the act.
The Daily Times quoted media reports as telling that the posters have upset the student body, which is hosting an “Islamo-Fascism Awareness Week” later this month.
Some students thought the posters might be a joke at the expense of the conservatives, as fine print at the bottom of one said: “Brought to you by Students for Conservativo-Fascism Awareness” - and a postscript recommending a BBC video on the politics of fear.
“I was just really shocked that this sort of hatred exists on our campus. You never think this would come so close to home, from people you’re in classes with. It’s scary,” a New York Muslim student, Najah El Bash, a leader of the conservative Muslim Students Association, was quoted as saying.
Criticising the act, University President Steven Knapp said in a statement, “There is no place for expressions of hatred on our campus.”
Calling the fliers reprehensible, Knapp said that students of different faiths would be gathering this week for a community meal with Muslims during Ramazan.
“This event speaks of our university’s commitment to global cultural understanding and respect,” he added.
Meanwhile, the Young America’s Foundation (YAF), a group of the university’s conservative students, whose name appeared under the fliers, denied any involvement in the incident.
YAF president Sergio Gor said he was horrified when he heard about the fliers.
“We did not put up those posters… Someone took our name and used it. It was hateful. We’re a conservative group on campus. We promote liberty and freedom, not bigotry and hatred,” Gor said. (ANI)
- Beef festival turns Osmania into battlefied, student stabbed - Apr 16, 2012
- Sikh-Americans confident they shall overcome - Aug 19, 2012
- London varsity to ban alcohol - Apr 12, 2012
- Muslims facing problems in Britain: Iranian student leader - Nov 02, 2011
- Facebook debate leads to clash in Palestine - Apr 05, 2010
- Sarah Palin To Bequeath The Keynote Address At The 'Reagan 100' Opening Banquet In California - Jan 28, 2011
- Tata Power to launch awareness campaign on Earth Day - Apr 21, 2012
- AIIMS to observe brain awareness week from April 9 - Mar 31, 2012
- Delhi University students march against corruption - Jul 27, 2011
- California cops on leave after pepper-spraying sparks outrage - Nov 21, 2011
- Museum study, conservation - new-age career options - Sep 17, 2011
- Panjab University resembles fortress ahead of student polls - Sep 01, 2010
- NCSC 2010 witnessed participation of young scientists from northeast - Jan 07, 2011
- A civic-conscious couple seeks to make Delhi poster free - Jan 10, 2011
- Muslims urged to fight terror on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: awareness, bbc, bigotry, conservative group, conservative students, criticising, different faiths, fliers, george washington university, hatred, islamo fascism, muslim student, muslim students association, peg leg, politics of fear, posters, president sergio, reprehensible, student bodies, yaf