Let Sikhs wear turban, beard: New York officialAugust 13th, 2012 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 13 (IANS) In the wake of the tragic Wisconsin gurdwara shooting, a senior New York City official has asked Mayor Michael Bloomberg to allow Sikh police officers to serve without forsaking their turbans and beards.
In a letter to the mayor, the city’s chief financial officer, Comptroller John C. Liu commended Bloomberg for his words of comfort and support to the city’s Sikh community. He said now was the time for the city to make a meaningful change of inclusion of Sikh members in the New York Police Department.
“Shouldn’t the NYPD, providing security in one of the most diverse cities in the world, proudly display its own diversity?” Liu asked in his letter.
“We must eliminate all religious barriers to joining the NYPD. Religious men from all faiths, whether they are Sikhs or orthodox Jews, should be able to serve the people of New York City,” he wrote.
United Sikhs and representatives of the New York Sikh community had a meeting with Liu to discuss issues faced by the Sikh community in the aftermath of the Aug 5 terror attack on the Wisconsin Sikh Gurdwara that killed six worshippers and wounded three.
“It’s imperative for people to know that Sikhs are woven into the fabric of American society and are not the ‘other’,” said Jasminder Kaur, project manager of United Sikhs, who attended the meeting with Liu last week.
“One way to promote that is through increasing participation of Sikhs with turbans and beards in government jobs,” she said. “We appreciate Comptroller Liu for taking the initiative to bring this up with the NYPD and assuring us of his continuous support”.
- Religion-based protection for workers in New York - Sep 03, 2011
- Gurdwara shooting victims remembered at vigils - Aug 08, 2012
- Sikh-Americans confident they shall overcome - Aug 19, 2012
- Top US law official calls gurdwara shooting a hate crime - Aug 11, 2012
- Sikhs in turbans can now serve Washington police - May 17, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurdwara shooting - Aug 06, 2012
- Sikh faith leader to offer invocation at Republican convention - Aug 27, 2012
- India in touch with US over gurudwara killing (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- US senators call for Sikh hate crime tracking - Aug 24, 2012
- US Sikh groups rally to ensure safety of community - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US - Aug 06, 2012
- Punjab leaders call for safety of Sikhs in US (Lead, correcting para six) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sikh panel guides families in coping with shooting trauma - Aug 13, 2012
- 'Their tears would make an ocean overflow' - Aug 08, 2012
- India presses France to resolve turban ban issue - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: beards, c liu, comptroller john, continuous support, government jobs, meaningful change, michael bloomberg, new york police, new york police department, nypd, orthodox jews, religious barriers, religious men, sikh gurdwara, terror attack, turban, turbans, united sikhs, worshippers, york police department