Leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in UttarakhandSeptember 30th, 2011 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 30 (IANS) Two leopard skins, the gall bladder of a Himalayan black bear and other animal derivatives were seized by authorities in Uttarakhand, an NGO said Friday.
Uttarakhand Police made the seizures Thursday with help from the NGO Wildlife Protection Society of India (WPSI).
In Dehradun, one leopard skin was seized and two people were arrested. Two more leopard skins, a gall bladder of a Himalayan black bear, the musk pod of a musk deer, and other items were seized in Sukhi Dhang. One person has been arrested in this case, the NGO said in a statement.
Leopard, musk deer and the Himalayan black bear are protected under Schedule I of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972, the country’s highest protection given to wild animals.
A total of 136 cases of leopard poaching were reported in India this year, of which 51 cases were recorded in Uttarakhand. Last year, 180 cases were reported in the country.
- Two leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 16, 2010
- Three held with leopard skins - Jul 07, 2010
- 20 wild animal skins seized in Uttarakhand - Jun 04, 2010
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Fighting chance for India's tigers: Poaching declines - Feb 08, 2012
- This year, 130 leopards poached in India (Lead, With Images) - Sep 04, 2010
- Missing in action, Uttarakhand's goral and barking deer (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- Leopard poachers get six years' jail - Nov 15, 2010
- Leopard skin seized in Assam - Apr 06, 2012
- Viral infection hits Himalayan blue sheep in wild - Sep 20, 2012
- Two leopard skins seized in Dehradun - Mar 18, 2009
- Ansari visits Dachigam National Park - Sep 17, 2012
- Now, tigers and leopards targeted by Maoists - Sep 12, 2012
- Dead leopard found in jungle warfare campus - Mar 07, 2012
- Tiger poacher convicted in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 18, 2009
Tags: animal derivatives, authorities, black bear, dehradun, gall bladder, India, leopard skins, musk deer, New Delhi, ngo, one person, pod, protection act, seizures, wild animals, wild life, wildlife protection, wpsi