Leopard skin seized in AssamApril 6th, 2012 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 5 (IANS) A leopard skin has been seized near the famed Manas Tiger Reserve in Assam and one person has been arrested, an official said Thursday.
The skin was seized on April 3 in Bhogpur Ghat on the eastern boundary of the reserve.
“One of the two people carrying the skin in a sack has been arrested, while the other one managed to escape. They were on bicycles,” said Adhan Oza, range officer of the Bhuyanpara forest range, told IANS on phone.
“The arrested person could be a member of a poaching network. We are investigating,” Oza said.
The accused, a resident of Bor gaon (village), near the reserve, told officials that he had been paid Rs.2,000 to transport the skin to another location.
He was produced before a court the following day which sent him to Barpeta district jail.
Manas Tiger Reserve, spread across more than 2,000 sq km, is home to tigers, wild buffaloes, deer, rhinos, wild boar and leopards, among other animals.
- One-horned rhino killed in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Leopard skins, bear gall bladder seized in Uttarakhand - Sep 30, 2011
- Now, tigers and leopards targeted by Maoists - Sep 12, 2012
- 'Lack of political will behind conservation woes' (With Image) - May 19, 2012
- Sariska to get two Ranthambore tiger cubs - Jul 29, 2011
- Poachers held with four deer heads in Bangladesh - Jul 19, 2011
- 20 wild animal skins seized in Uttarakhand - Jun 04, 2010
- Assam floods leave nearly 600 animals dead in Kaziranga - Jul 09, 2012
- Poisoning may have killed Sariska tiger: Minister - Nov 17, 2010
- With 200 tigers, Corbett turns a proud 75 (With Image) - Sep 11, 2011
- Six poachers arrested from Jim Corbett National Park in Rampur - Feb 16, 2011
- Sariska tigers feature in BBC series (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Boxing coach held with 3 leopard skins - May 05, 2012
- With relocated tigers, Sariska throbs again - Oct 04, 2010
- Interpol seizes two tonnes of elephant ivory - Jun 20, 2012