Lehmann transfer from Arsenal to Stuttgart completedJune 4th, 2008 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Stuttgart, June 4 (DPA) German national football team goalkeeper Jens Lehmann completed his long-anticipated transfer from London side Arsenal to VfB Stuttgart, the German club has confirmed. The 38-year-old, who had lost his regular place to Spanish keeper Manuel Almunia in Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger’s set-up, made the switch on a free transfer, and has been hired until the end of the coming season, the club said Tuesday.
Lehmann has been regular German side keeper since replacing Oliver Kahn for the 2006 World Cup, and has been capped 55 times. He played for German clubs Schalke 04 and Borussia Dortmund before going to London in 2003.
He joined the national squad in Switzerland Tuesday for European Championship preparations. “I’m looking forward to VfB and the Bundesliga,” Lehmann said, adding that his talks with the new club had been “very agreeable”.
Stuttgart’s director of sport Horst Heldt said of the veteran keeper: “He fits our needs perfectly, and we’re convinced he’ll quickly become a key part of the team.”
- Desperate Wenger turns to veteran Jens to revive Arsenal's fortunes - Mar 15, 2011
- Heldt extends contract with German side Schalke - Sep 09, 2012
- Schalke signs goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand - Oct 22, 2011
- Stuttgart, Dortmund crash out of German Cup - Oct 28, 2009
- Uchida extends stay at Schalke till 2015 - Aug 17, 2012
- Schalke sign Swiss midfielder Barnetta - Jul 04, 2012
- Lehmann to stay at Stuttgart for another year - Apr 03, 2009
- German Bundesliga kicks off August 27 - Jun 27, 2012
- Schalke offers Raul new contract - Mar 02, 2012
- Farfan extends contract with German side Schalke 04 - Apr 29, 2012
- Jens Lehmann sues Tim Wiese - Apr 05, 2011
- Oliver Kahn in talks with Schalke for general manager's post - Mar 20, 2009
- Podolski agrees to terms with Arsenal - Feb 29, 2012
- Lehmann in trouble over TV interview - Dec 10, 2009
- German coach Loew drops Cacau from Euro 2012 squad - May 29, 2012
Tags: arsenal, borussia dortmund, bundesliga, coach, dpa, german club, german clubs, german national football team, german side, going to london, jens lehmann, manuel almunia, national football team, oliver kahn, stuttgart, switzerland, wenger, world cup