Legislator killed in Pakistan bomb attack (Lead)February 11th, 2009 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 11 (DPA) A provincial lawmaker was killed and eight more people were wounded Wednesday in a blast in Pakistan’s troubled northwest, as US Special Representative Richard Holbrooke visited the region for security talks, officials said.
Alam Zaib, who belonged to the secular Awami National Party (ANP), died of wounds he suffered when his car was hit by a bomb in Peshawar, the capital of North West Frontier Province.
Zaib underwent skull surgery but died in the intensive care unit of the hospital, top district administrator Sahibzada Mohammad Anis told the Urdu-language Geo news channel.
Eight more people, including his bodyguard and driver, were injured in the blast that took place yards away from the lawmaker’s house.
Police believed that the remote-controlled bomb was strapped to a motorcycle left abandoned by the roadside. However, some reports said the explosive device was planted in Zaib’s car, which was destroyed in the attack.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack, but Khan said Zaib had been receiving threats from Islamic insurgents.
Zaib’s party, which leads the coalition government in the province, is in direct conflict with the rebels for supporting military operations against the Taliban militants in the region.
Several ANP leaders had been targeted since mid-2008 after negotiations between the government and the rebels failed to bring peace to the province and its adjoining tribal areas which serve as sanctuary for Al Qaeda and Taliban militants.
The bombing took place hours after Holbrooke arrived in Peshawar for talks with top provincial leaders. Details of his meetings were not immediately available.
- Five dead, 24 injured in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Pakistani politician killed in blast - Sep 13, 2011
- Five killed, 15 injured in Pakistan blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Roadside bombs kill six in Pakistan (Lead) - Jan 03, 2010
- Three soldiers killed in Pakistan - Feb 26, 2012
- Roadside bombs kill five in Pakistan - Jan 03, 2010
- Five die in Quetta blast (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Pakistan may launch anti-terror operation - Jun 08, 2012
- Floods kill over 100 in Pakistan - Jul 29, 2010
- Seven killed in Pakistan blast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- One hurt in Peshawar blast (Lead) - Dec 14, 2010
- Seven hurt in Pakistan blast - May 24, 2012
- At least five children injured in school bus bomb attack in Balochistan - Jan 04, 2011
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Eight injured in Peshawar blast - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: anis, awami national party, bomb attack, channel eight, coalition government, district administrator, explosive device, frontier province, geo news channel, intensive care unit, islamic insurgents, lawmaker, legislator, military operations, north west frontier, provincial leaders, richard holbrooke, security talks, tribal areas, urdu language