Leeds Met University tower named best tall building in the worldOctober 23rd, 2010 - 1:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 23 (ANI): A skyscraper in Leeds has been named the best tall building in the world.
The rusty-looking building is made from weathering steel, which forms rust like appearance when exposed to weather.
Broadcasting Place, on Woodhouse Lane, was short listed for the award after being voted Europe’s best tall building by Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) in June.
The building, which houses Leeds Metropolitan University’s Faculty of Arts, Environment and Technology along with student flats, was praised for its unusual angular shapes and for showing “a respect for the scale and grain of the surrounding listed buildings”.
It beat off world’s tallest building, Dubai’s Burj Khalifa.
Julian Gitsham, from architects Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios was all praise for the building and award.
“We are delighted, we’re a bit stunned really. We were very pleased with the Europe award and then we thought ‘well we’re going to be up against the Burj, the tallest building in the world,” the BBC quoted him as saying.
The Bank of America Tower and the Pinnacle at Duxton were also shortlisted.
“It felt like a David and Goliath situation where we had this relatively small building next to this 1km-high building,” he added.
The university said the building, owned by student accommodation developer Downing, had been given both praise and criticism for its use of weathering steel as a cladding material. (ANI)
- Broadcasting Place Tower is the world's best tall building - Oct 25, 2010
- Indian sweat and toil helped Burj reach for the skies - Nov 23, 2009
- Dubai's Princess Tower enters Guinness Records - May 21, 2012
- French 'Spiderman' scales world's tallest tower in Dubai - Mar 29, 2011
- China's tallest building to reach 2,073 feet - May 29, 2012
- China races to build world's second tallest skyscraper - Dec 28, 2011
- Skydivers jump from the world's tallest building - Jan 11, 2010
- UAE's Burj Khalifa bags best construction project award - Mar 24, 2011
- China to get world's third tallest building - Jun 22, 2011
- Ocean 'green rust' could scrape toxic metals - Jun 27, 2012
- Burj Dubai becomes the tallest building on earth - Sep 01, 2008
- Burj Khalifa wins real estate award - Apr 20, 2010
- Tom Cruise: The Superhero In Real Life - Nov 03, 2010
- Tokyo Skytree opens to the public - May 23, 2012
- Construction of Beijing's tallest building starts - Sep 19, 2011
Tags: america tower, bank of america, clegg, ctbuh, david and goliath, europe award, faculty of arts, khalifa, leeds met university, leeds metropolitan university, listed buildings, pinnacle at duxton, student accommodation, student flats, tall buildings and urban habitat, tallest building in the world, university tower, weathering steel, woodhouse lane, world london