Lebanon halts ship carrying arms for Syria rebelsApril 29th, 2012 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The Lebanese Navy has intercepted a Sierra Leone-registered ship carrying arms and ammunition reportedly destined for Syrian rebels, Al Jazeera reported.
The ship’s crew were detained after three crates full of machine guns, artillery shells and rocket-propelled grenades were found on board the Luftfallah II earlier this week.
Lebanese military prosecutor Saqr Saqr said an investigation was underway.
A security official told Al Jazeera the arms were intended for members of the rebel Free Syrian Army, which wants to oust President Bashar al-Assad by force.
The ship was coming from Libya. Several of the arms were labelled as Libyan.
It is now being held at Selaata, a port 50 km north of Lebanon capital Beirut.
Syrian authorities have frequently complained that weapons are being smuggled from Lebanon into the country.
The UN says more than 9,000 people have been killed in clashes between the government and the opposition in Syria since the uprising against Assad began in March 2011.
The Syrian government insists it is combating “armed terrorist gangs” who are seeking to destabilize Syria.
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- Syrian opposition elects new leader - Jun 10, 2012
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
- Syrian minister joins opposition - Mar 09, 2012
- Syrian rebels set free one of 11 Lebanese pilgrims - Aug 26, 2012
- Russia accuses Libya of training Syrian rebels - Mar 09, 2012
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- EU tightens sanctions on Syria - Jul 23, 2012
- Russian ship to hold drills off Syria - Apr 06, 2012
- Syrian TV denies intelligence chief's murder - Aug 27, 2012
- Arab League adopts sanctions against Syria - Nov 28, 2011
- Assad's sister flees Syria : Report - Sep 19, 2012
- Russia warns West of 'big war' in Syria - Jul 06, 2012
Tags: al jazeera, ammunition, april 29, artillery shells, bashar al assad, beirut, capital beirut, clashes, gangs, machine guns, military prosecutor, president bashar, rebels, ria novosti, rocket propelled grenades, security official, sierra leone, syrian army, syrian authorities, syrian government