Lebanese PM slams Hezbollah over missing diplomats issueJanuary 30th, 2009 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Beirut, Jan 30 (Xinhua) Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Seniora has hit back at Hezbollah chief Hasan Nasrallah for holding his government responsible for the four Iranian diplomats who went missing in 1982, a media report said Friday.In a statement Thursday, Seniora said his government had sent a letter to UN chief Ban Ki-moon in September last year, urging him to help resolve the issue of Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped during the Israeli invasion in 1982, the NBN TV reported.
The statement came in response to the comments by Nasrallah Thursday, in which he said the “Lebanese government is responsible for revealing the fate of four Iranian diplomats who were kidnapped in Lebanon in 1982″.
He also said that the Israelis have given Hezbollah a report, which says the Iranian diplomats were kidnapped by the Lebanese Forces (LF) militia at a checkpoint in north Lebanon, and were later killed.
The LF is currently holding the key portfolio of justice ministry in the present Lebanese cabinet, and therefore, Nasrallah said, the government is responsible for disclosing the fate of the missing Iranians.
“The LF has the key answers, if they turned them over to Israel, they should say. And if they killed them, they should turn over their bodies,” the Hezbollah chief said.
However, LF parliamentarian Antoine Zahra said Thursday that his party was not involved in kidnapping of the diplomats and blamed assassinated LF commander Elie Hobeika for the case.
Hobeika, also former Lebanese minister, was killed in a car bomb near his resident in east Beirut Jan 24, 2002.
- Iran's diplomats abducted in 1982 were killed: Lebanese leader - Feb 06, 2009
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Hezbollah chief calls on Lebanon to build nuclear reactor - Aug 25, 2010
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Thousands attend funeral of Hezbollah leader - Jul 07, 2010
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Hezbollah threatens to strike Israeli ships - May 26, 2010
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
- Saudi wanted joint Arab-US-NATO force to destroy Iran-backed Hezbollah in Lebanon - Dec 08, 2010
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: ban ki moon, car bomb, elie hobeika, fouad seniora, hasan nasrallah, hezbollah, iranian diplomats, iranians, israeli invasion, justice ministry, lebanese cabinet, lebanese forces, lebanese government, lebanese minister, lebanese prime minister, nbn tv, north lebanon, parliamentarian, xinhua, zahra