Learning Chinese harder than winning gold: PhelpsAugust 20th, 2008 - 2:20 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug. 20 (ANI) Americas ace swimmer Michael Phelps has said that winning a record eight golds at the Beijing Olympics has been easier than learning the Chinese language.
The China Daily quoted him as saying:”Learning Mandarin is even harder than winning eight gold medals in the pool. It is the hardest thing I”ve ever tried in my life.”
Phelps took French and German courses when he was in primary school, but the swimming ace said Chinese is much harder to learn.
“The language is so tough. I started taking some Chinese lessons after learning French and German. After a while I could speak a little and understand a little. But all the words, characters and pronunciations in Mandarin are so different. All of them are hard to manage,” Phelps said.
Phelps will be back for the 2012 London Games, where he says he wants to train for some new events to try to vary his repertoire. His next major competition will be the World Championships in Rome in 2009. (ANI)
- Phelps to swim 400m medley at US trials - Jun 25, 2012
- Phelps and I will still be friends, says Lochte - Jul 29, 2012
- Phelps becomes history's most medaled Olympian (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Michael Phelps wins the gold medal at the FINA Swimming World Championship - Jul 27, 2011
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Lochte overtakes Phelps for gold in World Swimming Championships - Jul 26, 2011
- Phelps confirms retirement after London Olympics - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Michael Phelps bids farewell - Aug 05, 2012
- Phelps wins 400m medley gold at Austin meet - Jan 15, 2012
- Le Clos sends out warning to Phelps - Aug 02, 2012
- Phelps wants to have fun at Olympic swansong - Jul 27, 2012
- Nigerian engineer becomes a pop star in China - May 23, 2011
- Can Olympic champion Phelps continue where he left off? - Jul 22, 2009
- Phelps guns for Thorpe, wants to reverse result of 2004 Athens Games - Feb 13, 2011