Lawyer claims receiving letter threatening to kill BenazirNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:44 am ICT by admin
According to the text of the letter, Benazir could be assassinated at her home or in car by any person in the garb of a female attacker, The News quoted Naik, as saying.
The letter also has a mention about links with al-Qaeda and followers of Osama bin Laden.
Benazir has been claiming that she might be assassinated after her return to Pakistan on October 18.
The PPP chief, who had a narrow escape last week in a suicide attack at her homecoming rally in Karachi, has sent three names to President General Pervez Musharraf of the people with powerful positions in the government, including a close friend of the General, accusing them of plotting her assassination.
At least 139 people were killed, including three police officers, and over 550 were injured late on Thursday night as suspected suicide bombers tried to attack Benazir’s convoy on her return to the country after eight-year self-imposed exile.
Two explosions went off a minute apart shortly after midnight near Karsaz close to the vehicle Bhutto was travelling in, at the head of a procession of hundreds of thousands of the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) supporters who had flooded the streets of Karachi to welcome her.
The attack reportedly bore the hallmarks of al Qaeda and resembled assassination attempts by militants linked to the terrorist network on President Pervez Musharraf and Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz in recent years. (ANI)
- PPP probe report confirms Musharraf, Elahi not involved in Benazir's assassination - Apr 08, 2011
- Musharraf killed my mother: Bilawal Bhutto - May 25, 2012
- Benazir was promised she would be PM: Forensic report - Feb 09, 2011
- Benazir killing probe almost complete: Gilani - Dec 28, 2011
- Pakistan remembers Benazir Bhutto - Dec 27, 2011
- Bhutto case: US journalist becomes witness - Sep 10, 2011
- Non-bailable warrant for Musharraf in Bugti assassination case - Aug 16, 2012
- Musharraf warrant valid till compliance: Pakistan to Interpol - May 21, 2012
- Musharraf included in Benazir murder investigation - Nov 23, 2010
- Musharraf to return home Jan 25 or 27 - Jan 06, 2012
- Musharraf is now an accused in Benazir killing - Feb 07, 2011
- PPP to file murder case against Musharraf for Bhutto's assassination - Apr 29, 2010
- Pak Govt to tap Interpol for Musharraf's return in BB murder case if court directs so - Feb 13, 2011
- Osama was involved in Benazir's assassination: Malik - Jun 22, 2011
- PPP a party of the masses, says Pakistani PM - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, assassination attempts, benazir, bhutto, general pervez musharraf, geo news, homecoming rally, karachi, narrow escape, osama bin laden, pakistan, ppp, president general, president pervez musharraf, self imposed, shaukat aziz, suicide attack, suicide bombers, terrorist network, three names