Lawyer challenges NRO in Pak Supreme CourtNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:53 am ICT by admin
M Aslam Khaki, a Supreme Court advocate, filed the petition under the Article 184 (3) of the Constitution, the Daily Times reported.
Khaki pleaded that the ordinance must be declared unjust, an abuse of authority and a corrupt deal, as it was against the spirit of the Constitution.
President Pervez Musharraf, former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, Interior Minister Aftab Sherpao, the MQM and the federation of Pakistan are named as respondents through the Law Ministry.
On Sunday, Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz said that they had succeeded in dividing the Opposition by promulgating the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) that may have helped President Pervez Musharraf to remain in power for another five years.
“We wanted to gain political mileage from it (NRO), and we were successful because Musharraf got votes from all parts of the country,” Aziz and Pakistan Muslim League (PML) President Shujaat Hussain said.
The PML and the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) played their own politics on the NRO, but the former succeeded in getting Musharraf re-elected, Hussain said.
Aziz had rejected the possibility of a fresh promulgation of the NRO even if the Supreme Court strikes it down. (ANI)
- President enjoys immunity, Pakistan PM tells apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Musharraf never consulted PML-Q on NRO, Benazir 'deal': Ch Zaheer - Oct 08, 2010
- Pakistani PM files appeal in contempt of court - Feb 08, 2012
- Malik passes NRO accountability buck to Musharraf - Oct 03, 2010
- Gilani reaches court for contempt hearing - Feb 13, 2012
- Contempt notice against Gilani challenged - Jan 17, 2012
- Pir Pagara distances himself from Musharraf - Oct 08, 2010
- Gilani has no option but to write letter: Nawaz - Feb 11, 2012
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- All political powers taken on board over NRO : Musharraf - Oct 25, 2009
- Pakistani PM gets two weeks to write to Swiss powers - Jul 25, 2012
- Next government can approach Swiss courts: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Attorney general gets court order in Zardari case - Mar 10, 2012
Tags: aftab, benazir bhutto, constitution, hussain, khaki, law ministry, misuse of power, mqm, nro, pakistan muslim league, pml, political mileage, president pervez musharraf, prime minister, shaukat aziz, supreme court strikes