Law executive jailed for stealing half-million poundsJanuary 28th, 2012 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 28 (IANS) A young legal executive in Britian has been jailed for stealing nearly half a million pounds from clients’ accounts, causing a family-run solictior firm to go bankrupt and also leading to loss of 36 jobs.
Leanne Harris, 25, plundered the cash by writing scores of cheques so that she and her husband could enjoy a “frivolous and extravagant” lifestyle beyond their means, the Daily Express reported.
Harris, who had no legal qualifications, stole over 419,000 pounds (about $659,000) from five clients and the life savings of a 90-year-old, depriving her of the funds to pay nursing home costs.
The cheques were paid into the couple’s joint account over two-and-a-half years to pay mounting household bills and support an expensive lifestyle.
Harris was initially employed by the small firm of Arscotts, of Hove, East Sussex, in 2007 on a salary of 17,000 pounds. She impressed her bosses but later the relationship soured due to a series of personality clashes with staff.
She resigned two years later, but was kept on as a consultant, a role that involved her taking clients’ files home. However, her contract was terminated in 2010.
A routine investigation, later that year, revealed money missing from five accounts.
She pleaded guilty to five counts of fraud and one of theft at a brief court appearance last year.
- British woman jailed for prostituting teenaged girl - Aug 02, 2012
- Girl spends 38,000 pounds on mom's cards - Jul 21, 2011
- Forget divorce settlement, 'break-up payment' is the latest trend - Dec 30, 2010
- Qatar's sheikh in soup over dud 500,000 pounds cheque - Feb 21, 2012
- Hooker Donna Asutaits jailed for tax evasion - Jul 10, 2012
- British police pay one mn pounds for customer surveys - May 15, 2011
- Beauty salon owner faces 10 years in jail for swindling A-list celebs - Jan 22, 2011
- Courtney Love in legal trouble - Jun 27, 2012
- Prince Andrew's ex-wife sued by lawyers over debts - Apr 23, 2010
- LeAnn Rimes cleans out her closet for Twitter fan - Apr 18, 2011
- Dating agency in UK minting money by finding love for billionaires - Jan 20, 2011
- LeAnn Rimes ex-husband wishes her all the best after her wedding - Apr 25, 2011
- Air France flight attendant arrested after 'mile-high' thefts - Jul 21, 2010
- Prince Harry promoted to captain - Apr 17, 2011
- Two held for cheating in Delhi - May 31, 2012
Tags: britian, cheques, court appearance, daily express, east sussex, extravagant lifestyle, fraud, half a million, household bills, jan 28, legal executive, legal qualifications, london jan, nursing home costs, personality clashes, relationship, routine investigation, salary, sussex, two and a half years