Laurel and Hardy immortalised into bronze statuesApril 20th, 2009 - 12:25 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 20 (ANI): Legendary comedy duo Laurel and Hardy have been immortalised into bronze statues in Cumbrian town where Stan Laurel was born.
The fundraisers spent 10 years raising 60,000 pounds for the sculpture, which will be placed outside the Coronation Hall theatre in Ulverston.
The statues, designed and created by Graham Ibbeson, were unveiled by comedian Ken Dodd, 81.
In a partnership lasting 31 years, the pair Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy acted in 106 films spanning the silent era until the 1950s.
The occasion was attended by hundreds of fans including members of The Sons of the Desert fan club who helped raise funds for the sculptures.
Dodd said he was “tickled” to be chosen to unveil the memorial.
“Laurel and Hardy made the world laugh. They were the kings of comedy,” the BBC quoted Dodd as saying.
“I sculpted Stan and Ollie over a winter period a few years ago, it was cold and miserable in the workshop, however, when I took the cover off the boys every morning it uplifted my soul,” said Mr Ibbeson.
“Stan and Ollie were looking down on me with grins on their faces, and I was looking back at the greatest clowns that have walked this Earth with affection and joyous memories,” he added. (ANI)
- Laurel's childhood home to be sold - Mar 21, 2011
- Comic Stan Laurel's childhood home up for grabs - Mar 21, 2011
- Error over Stan Laurel's birthplace leaves Durham tourism deptt red-faced - Oct 01, 2010
- Laurel and Hardy stunt to come alive in "flash mob" event - Jun 15, 2010
- Shane Warne's bronze statue unveiled outside hallowed MCG - Dec 22, 2011
- Campaign to resurrect Mirza Ghalib's legacy gathers momentum - Dec 24, 2010
- Fulham fans protest against Michael Jackson's statue at Craven Cottage ground - Mar 19, 2011
- Steve Waugh immortalized in bronze at SCG - Jan 05, 2011
- Football club to unveil Jackson's statue - Mar 17, 2011
- Perry to auction elephant statue - Nov 25, 2011
- Wax statue biggest honour: Kareena - Nov 11, 2011
- Schwarzenegger immortalised in bronze - Sep 27, 2011
- Warne set to be immortalised in bronze statue - May 30, 2011
- Chinese museum to replicate Michelangelo's sculptures - Jun 20, 2011
- Michael Jackson to be immortalized at Fulham - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: 1950s, bronze statues, clowns, comedian, comedy duo, coronation hall, desert fan, fan club, fundraisers, joyous memories, ken dodd, kings of comedy, laurel and hardy, oliver hardy, sons of the desert, stan and ollie, stan laurel, stan laurel and oliver hardy, winter period, world laugh