Last-gasp Villa goal helps Spain beat Sweden in Euro CupJune 15th, 2008 - 2:34 am ICT by IANS
Innsbruck (Austria), June 15 (DPA) David Villa scored in the second minute of stoppage time to give Spain a 2-1 victory over Sweden in Group D of Euro 2008. It was Villa’s fourth of the tournament after a hat-trick in the 4-1 defeat of Russia and puts Spain in control of the group.
Spain will qualify if Greece fail to beat Russia later in the evening.
Sweden’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic had earlier cancelled out a Fernando Torres goal.
The Liverpool striker stuck out a leg in the 15th minute to turn a David Silva cross into the net following a well-worked corner.
Inter Milan’s Ibrahimovic levelled in the 34th for his second goal of the tournament when he shrugged off a Sergio Ramos tackle to turn the ball into the net via the hand of keeper Iker Casillas.
Spain went ahead with their first real attack, in the 15th minute.
Xavi Hernandez played a short corner for David Villa, who laid the ball back for David Silva. Silva’s centre was volleyed in by the stretching Torres, from just beyond the penalty spot.
Torres’ goal obliged Sweden to react, and they did so manfully - to the delight of the noisy Swedish fans in Innsbruck, when Ibrahimovic notched the equalizer.
It seems Sweden had done enough for a point until Villa snatched a win when he got on the end of a long ball and shrugged off the attention of twe Swedish defenders.
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Iniesta named player of Euro 2012 - Jul 02, 2012
- Euro 2012: Torres on song as Spain knock out Ireland - Jun 15, 2012
- Sweden shocks France but still bows out at Euro 2012 (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Fabregas grabs 1-1 draw for Spain against Italy - Jun 11, 2012
- Spain begin World Cup defence with hard fought win - Sep 12, 2012
- Top scorer Villa sinks Sweden in injury time (Lead) - Jun 15, 2008
- Euro 2012: Last-gasp Navas goal sends Spain through, Croatia out - Jun 19, 2012
- Spain beat Italy 4-0 to win Euro 2012 title - Jul 02, 2012
- European champions Spain stunned by Swiss in Group H (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- Spain defeat China 1-0 in Euro 2012 warm-up - Jun 04, 2012
- Champions League: Barcelona held by Milan, Arsenal by Dortmund - Sep 14, 2011
- Spain win Group H, go through with Chile (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Spain beat Chile, both qualify for Round 16 (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2010
- Euro 2012: France get quarterfinal with 2-0 Sweden loss - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: casillas, david silva, dpa, equalizer, euro 2008, euro cup, fernando torres, hat trick, innsbruck austria, inter milan, last gasp, liverpool, puts, russia, sergio ramos, stoppage time, striker, swedish fans, victory, zlatan ibrahimovic