Last 12 months most violent period for Pakistani media, says reportMay 2nd, 2009 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 2 (IANS) Fifteen journalists have been killed in Pakistan between May 2008 and May 2009 making it the most violent period for the Pakistani media, according to a study.
The findings were published in the annual State of Media report produced by Intermedia, a research organisation based here, the Online news agency reported Saturday.
The study suggests that like other socio-economic groups in the country, “the media also paid a heavy price for the war against terrorism”, as 15 journalists have been killed in insurgency related violence in the past 12 months in the country. Many journalists were also arrested by the security forces or kidnapped by militant groups.
The study said there were 248 cases of violations against the media in Pakistan during the period under review (May 2008 to May 2009) in North West Frontier Province (NWFP), Punjab and Balochistan provinces and the FATA.
The categories of violations include killings, arrests, kidnappings, assaults, injuries, intimidation and attacks on media properties.
The report said Punjab was the most dangerous place for journalists with 81 of the 248 cases of violations reported there. Islamabad ranked second with 48 incidents and FATA third with 41 cases.
Ten of those killed worked for newspapers while five worked for TV channels, the report said.
- One journalist killed every month in Pakistan: report - Dec 28, 2008
- Probe violence against journalists, UN to Pakistan - Aug 20, 2011
- 22 journalists killed in four years in Balochistan - Jul 09, 2012
- Journalist shot dead in Pakistan - Aug 15, 2011
- Government committed to protecting journalists: Sherry Rehman - Dec 30, 2008
- Pakistan arrested over 3,000 terrorists in three years - Aug 04, 2011
- Dust storms kill 10 in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- `Hindus in Pakistan angry, helpless' - Apr 10, 2012
- 10 mn Pakistan voters not on electoral roll - Oct 01, 2011
- Pakistan sets date with Saudi dates - Mar 25, 2012
- Use of contraceptives up in Pakistan's tribal region - May 31, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist freed - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistan's two dozen Hindu families seek asylum in India - Dec 27, 2010
- 3,169 people killed in 2,488 terror incidents in Pakistan in last two years - Apr 09, 2011
- Zardari seeks probe into attack on journalist - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: 12 months, balochistan, dangerous place, fata, frontier province, intermedia, intimidation, islamabad, journalists, killings, militant groups, news agency, north west frontier, pakistan, punjab, research organisation, security forces, socio economic groups, tv channels, war against terrorism