Largest Sikh gathering in Asia honours a saint in MalaysiaMay 26th, 2008 - 11:00 pm ICT by admin
Malacca, May 26 (ANI): About 45,000 Sikhs from Europe, Australia, United States and elsewhere made the pilgrimage to Gurdwara Sahib Malacca in Jalan Temenggong here to commemorate the 36th death anniversary of Sant Baba Sohan Singh Ji.
The temple grounds were converted into a meal hall for the event, which was held from May 22 to 25. Food was prepared and served round the clock for the visitors, who were also treated to the continuous recital of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, reports the New Strait Times.
Former Malacca Sikh Temple committee president Balbir Singh said preparations for the event swung into motion three months ago to cope with the anticipated influx of devotees.
Singaporeans Harbans Kaur, 60, and Lily Goh, 57, were among the visitors who volunteered after meditating in the prayer hall.
Goh said she had first heard of Barsi from her friend, Harbans, and was attracted by the concept of selfless service.
About 200 volunteers work in rotation, preparing up to 300kg of rice, 150kg of chapatti and other dishes to serve a 20,000-strong crowd per meal. Food is procured through offerings to the temple, or is bought by the temple using donations.
The late Sant Sohan Singh was an eminent Sikh priest who was born in Punjab in 1902. He had dedicated his life to spreading Sikhism in Malaysia and Singapore and was declared a saint after his death in Malacca in 1972. In honour of his memory, a two-year project was carried out which saw people from around the world being interviewed for a glimpse into Sant Sohan Singh’s life.
The project culminated in his biography, which was available for purchase at the temple. (ANI)
- Worshippers return to Wisconsin gurdwara - Aug 13, 2012
- Printing of Guru Granth Sahib allowed abroad - Sep 22, 2010
- Dubai's grand gurdwara brings religion, tradition alive in style (With Images) - Jul 03, 2012
- Luxury train on Sikh pilgrimage across India sold out - Dec 26, 2010
- SGPC not averse to printing Guru Granth Sahib abroad - Feb 14, 2010
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- Tamils, Punjabis celebrate festivals in Malaysia - Apr 14, 2011
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- Golden Temple, a symbol of communal harmony - Nov 13, 2009
- Golden Temple honors Hindu statesman - Apr 02, 2011
- Obama to visit Golden Temple, college in Amritsar - Oct 15, 2010
- 405th installation anniversary of Sri Guru Granth Sahib - Sep 19, 2009
- US TV documentary features Hindus and Sikhs - Apr 05, 2011
- SGPC installs Golden Temple replica at Wagah border - Mar 20, 2010
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
Tags: balbir singh, barsi, chapatti, committee president, death anniversary, europe australia, guru granth sahib, malaysia and singapore, meal food, new strait times, prayer hall, selfless service, sikh temple, singh ji, sohan, sri guru granth, sri guru granth sahib, temenggong, temple grounds, volunteers work