Largest ice-shelf fractures into threeApril 16th, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by admin
Toronto, April 16 (IANS) The largest ice-shelf in the northern hemisphere has fractured into three pieces, the first intimation of which has come from images clicked by the Radarsat satellite. A team of scientists patrolling the area inspected an 18-km long network of cracks running from the southern edge of the Ward Hunt Ice-Shelf to the Arctic Ocean.
A similar large fracture was detected in 2002, prompting concerns that the remaining ice-shelf too would disintegrate within a few years.
“These latest break-ups that we are seeing have come after decades of warming and are irreversible,” said Derek Mueller of Trent University.
The scientists also found that the nearby Petersen Ice Shelf lost over a third of its surface area over the past three years. This ice shelf calved following the break-up of landfast sea ice in the summer of 2005 and 2007, which had protected it from the open ocean.
Only five large ice shelves remain in Arctic Canada, covering less than a tenth of the area than they did a century ago.
“Canadian ice shelves have undergone substantial changes in the past six years, starting with the first break-up event on the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf, and the loss of the Ayles Ice Shelf,” said Luke Copland of University of Ottawa.
- Arctic ice shelf might have broken up before - Oct 26, 2011
- Antarctic Ice Shelf collapse possibly triggered by ocean waves - Feb 12, 2010
- Satellite records Antarctica ice shelf's retreat - Apr 08, 2012
- Arctic ice shelf splits, creating two huge ice islands - Jul 31, 2008
- Vast cracks appear in Arctic ice cap - May 24, 2008
- Antarctic ice shelf faces threat from warm waters - May 10, 2012
- Massive pieces of Canadas northern ice shelf floating free in the Arctic Ocean - Sep 03, 2008
- Ice chunk '4 times Manhattan's size' breaks away from Greenland glacier - Aug 07, 2010
- Iceberg, Dead Ahead! Antarctica is Falling Apart - Mar 09, 2010
- Weird rock 'ice-shelf' floating in Pacific - Aug 12, 2012
- Thickest Arctic Sea ice melting much faster - Mar 01, 2012
- NASA: Arctic's thickest ice diminishing faster than thin ice - Mar 01, 2012
- Ice shelves attached to Antarctica are disappearing - Feb 23, 2010
- Vanishing ice shelves in Antarctic Peninsula could result in sea-level rise - Feb 23, 2010
- Arctic's sea ice melt hits second-lowest level - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: arctic canada, arctic ocean, ayles ice shelf, break ups, canadian ice, first break, fracture, intimation, luke copland, northern hemisphere, open ocean, radarsat satellite, sea ice, southern edge, substantial changes, three pieces, trent university, university of ottawa, ups, ward hunt ice shelf