Larger bench to hear government’s plea against lifting SIMI banOctober 13th, 2008 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) The government’s plea against a tribunal’s ruling lifting the ban on the Students Islamic Movement of India (SIMI) is to be heard by a larger bench of the Supreme Court, even as the ban is to continue, the court ruled Monday.Saying that the government’s suit be listed before “an appropriate and larger bench”, the bench of Justice S.B. Sinha and Justice Cyriac Joseph referred the matter to Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan.
The bench also said the ban on the terror outfit would continue till further orders.
The apex court had Aug 6 suspended the anti-terror tribunal’s ruling that had a day earlier lifted the ban on SIMI.
The government had first banned SIMI under the now-defunct Prevention of Terrorism Ordinance (POTO) in September 2001 for two years.
The ban was reinforced in September 2003 for another two years, under the Prevention of the Terrorism Act (POTA) that came into existence after parliament ratified POTO.
SIMI was banned for the third time in September 2005 under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act that was enacted after the UPA government repealed POTA. The ban was imposed for the fourth time in 2007.
SIMI has been blamed for a series of terror bombings in various Indian cities in which hundreds have been killed and many more maimed and injured.
- Apex court notice to government on SIMI ban (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- HC tribunal upholds ban on SIMI (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Sack Raja Bhaiyya from UP cabinet, demands BSP - May 11, 2012
- Tribunal upholds ban on SIMI - Aug 01, 2012
- Death for three confirmed in 2003 Mumbai blasts case (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Supreme Court declines to block Godhra carnage verdict (Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- No fresh evidence to extend ban: SIMI tells court - May 11, 2010
- Centre extends ban on SIMI for two more years - Feb 05, 2010
- Supreme Court refers SIMI ban issue to larger bench - Oct 13, 2008
- SIMI's former president nabbed at Kochi airport - Jun 25, 2011
- SC split verdict on Madani's bail plea in Bangalore blast case - May 04, 2011
- 'Don't ask, don't tell' Repeal moves forward - Jul 22, 2011
- Bomb blast convict's bail plea rejected - Nov 29, 2010
- Security high ahead of Godhra train carnage verdict - Feb 22, 2011
- Akshardham temple attack: Death for three confirmed - Jun 01, 2010