Lankan Navy kills Indian fisherman in Palk StraitJune 3rd, 2008 - 8:47 pm ICT by ANI
Rameswaram, June 3 (ANI): An Indian fisherman was allegedly shot dead by the Sri Lankan Navy on Tuesday, close to Katchativu Island, after he was allegedly found fishing in the Palk Strait along with three other persons.
His body was brought to the Rameswaram hospital early hours of Tuesday.
Police said the fisherman died on the spot after getting hit by bullet injuries in his kidney, while the three others escaped unhurt.
Meanwhile, fishermen of the Thangachimadam Coastal Village staged protest at the hospital in the afternoon against the indiscriminate firing by the Sri Lankan Navy.
Fishermen told the police that they were fishing within Indian waters when the Sri Lankan Navy personnel shot at them without any warning.
Senior police officials are likely to talk to with the fishermen who are criticizing Sri Lankan navy.
Indian fishermen have resumed fishing in the Palk Strait two days ago after the end of the 45-day ban imposed by the Tamil Nadu government on mechanized trawlers on April 15. (ANI)
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- 23 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka: Krishna - Jul 27, 2012
- Sri Lanka arrests 23 Indian fishermen - Jun 21, 2011
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- India hopeful fishermen captured by Sri Lanka will be released - Jul 24, 2012
- BJP slams 'casual attitude' of Central Government towards fishermen deaths - Jan 30, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free Indian fishermen - Jul 23, 2012
- Secure fishermen's release from Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Jul 05, 2012
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Fishermen killings: Rao to convey India's concerns to Sri Lanka - Jan 28, 2011
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's help to free fishermen (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011