Lanka celebrates first May Day after end of civil warMay 2nd, 2010 - 1:59 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, May 2 (ANI): Political parties in Sri Lanka celebrated their first May Day after ending the three-decade war against Tamil Tiger rebels on Saturday.
According to a Focus news agency report, the ruling party United People’s Freedom Alliance held its May Day meeting with the participation of President Mahinda Rajapaksa here.
Rajapaksa called on the working class to join his government in developing the country.
He also called the opposition to work with him to fulfill the aspirations of the people.
“Let’s forget all differences and get together now to develop the country. The opposition must not oppose every thing that the government does for the sake of opposing. We can overcome any external threat when we are united,” he said.
The opposition United National Party participated in religious ceremonies when the Leftist party People Liberation Front and other opposition political parties held their May Day processions and meetings in Colombo and suburbs.
The Democratic National Alliance led by former Army Chief General Sarath Fonseka held its first May Day rally in the capital, too.
Compared to May Day rallies and meeting in previous years, the post-war May Day celebrations by the opposition parties were low- key this time. (ANI)
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Rajapaksa gets nod to free jailed ex-army chief - May 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka against disguising global influence - May 02, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- Rajapaksa orders release of jailed ex-army chief - May 20, 2012
- Sri Lankan ex-army chief gets bail - May 18, 2012
- Sri Lankans begin voting for new parliament - Apr 08, 2010
- Indian delegation holds talks in Sri Lanka - Apr 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka opposition protests court martial of former army chief - Aug 17, 2010
- Sri Lanka's former army chief vows to topple government - Jun 14, 2012
- EU wants fair trail for Sri Lanka detainees - May 06, 2012
- Marxist party wants Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released - Mar 23, 2010
- Sri Lankan parliament dissolved - Feb 10, 2010
- Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutiny - Jun 07, 2012
- My life is under threat: Sri Lankan ex-army chief - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,