Landslide buries over 50 people in ChinaJune 5th, 2009 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Chongqing (China), June 5 (Xinhua) Three people were rescued while 56 others remained buried under rocks Friday following a landslide in a mining area in southwest China.
The landslide occurred at about 3 p.m. in Jiwei Mountain in Wulong County. Millions of cubic meters of rock spilled a valley and buried an iron ore plant and six houses.
The three rescued people were unconscious and receiving emergency treatment at a hospital, officials said.
Liu Qi, Communist Party chief of Wulong County, told Xinhua that 50 quarry workers and several other people remained trapped under the boulders.
The firefighters and medical staff have rushed to the site for rescue work. The landslide cut power and communication cable lines in the area.
- China landslide toll reaches nine - Jun 09, 2009
- 127 die, 2,000 missing in China landslides (Third Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
- Six missing after landslide hits village in southeastern China - Apr 24, 2012
- Rescuers hunt for 1,300 missing in China landslides - Aug 09, 2010
- Chance to survive 'dim' for 100 buried in China landslide - Jun 29, 2010
- Dozens missing after mudslides hit town in southwest China - Aug 18, 2010
- At least 127 dead, more than 1,000 missing after landslides in northwest China - Aug 09, 2010
- 11 trapped in China coal mine - Apr 27, 2012
- Rain triggered landslide kills 127 in China - Aug 09, 2010
- 12 dead in China landslides - Sep 19, 2011
- Mudslide at iron mine in northwest China kills 7, buries 21 - Aug 01, 2012
- Over 100 people buried in China landslide - Jun 28, 2010
- China storm toll rises to 31 - May 07, 2010
- 12 dead, three mn hit by China storms - Jul 14, 2012
- 107 people buried, trapped after rain-triggered landslide in China - Jun 28, 2010
Tags: boulders, cable lines, chongqing china, communication cable, communist party chief, cubic meters, emergency treatment, firefighters, hospital officials, iron ore, landslide, liu qi, medical staff, mining area, quarry workers, rocks, southwest china, xinhua