Lance strong as the Tour Down Under goes uphillJanuary 21st, 2009 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 21 (DPA) Cycling great Lance Armstrong was on the pace and happy to finish in the bunch Wednesday as Australia’s Tour Down Under hit the Adelaide hills. The 145-kilometre second stage wound up with three hilly 20-kilometre circuits and the 37-year-old Texan showed he was in his element as the gradients got steeper.
It again came down to a bunch sprint, with Australia’s Allan Davis of the Quick Step team pipping countryman Graeme Brown on the line.
As with the first stage, a mostly flat 140-kilometre jaunt, Armstrong crossed in the peloton and was accorded the same time as the winner.
It was Armstrong’s first stage race since announcing in September his three-year furlough was over and he would come back and try for an eighth Tour de France victory.
“I’m taking this day by day,” Armstrong said after Germany sprinter Andre Greipel took the first stage. “All the early indications are that I’m feeling pretty good, but I’ll see how the recovery is.”
Greipel, last year’s Tour Down Under winner, is not favoured to triumph this year because of changes intended to benefit all-rounders like Armstrong and make things harder for sprinters like Greipel.
The Tour Down Under is unique in the 15-event ProTour calendar with all nights spent in Adelaide, with riders driven to the start of each outlying stage.
It’s a gentle reintroduction to the rigours of road racing. The Tour Down Under, mostly over flat countryside and with stages averaging just 133 kilometres, is a world away from the savage climbs and 200-kilometre-plus stages of the Tour de France and other European majors.
- Lance strong as the Tour Down Under goes uphill - Jan 21, 2009
- Cycling legend Armstrong back in saddle for stage race - Jan 20, 2009
- Armstrong to end international career Down Under - Oct 24, 2010
- Kazakhstan's Vinokourov wins gold in Olympic road race - Jul 28, 2012
- Tempo builds in Australia's Tour Down Under - Jan 23, 2009
- Sagan makes it three stage wins on Tour - Jul 07, 2012
- Contador clings on to retain Vuelta lead - Sep 09, 2012
- Sport superstars take aim at flood - Jan 13, 2011
- Sagan wins again as crashes hit Tour de France - Jul 05, 2012
- Contador takes Tour of Spain title after serving doping ban - Sep 10, 2012
- Lance Armstrong cleared to race in Australian Tour - Oct 09, 2008
- Adelaide to host Tour Down Under cycle race - Nov 11, 2008
- Lance Armstrong turns sleepy Adelaide into cycle city - Jan 16, 2009
- Rotterdam Gears Up For Tour De France - Jul 03, 2010
- 10th Stage Of Tour De France Brings In Old Memories For Lance Armstrong - Jul 14, 2010
Tags: adelaide hills, circuits, countryman, countryside, dpa, furlough, gradients, graeme brown, jan 21, kilometres, lance armstrong, majors, peloton, rounders, second stage, sprint, sprinter, sprinters, stage race, tour de france