Lampard dedicates FA Cup win to HiddinkMay 31st, 2009 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 31 (IANS) For Frank Lampard, the FA Cup was the best parting gift Chelsea players could have given to their interim manager Guus Hiddink as a memento of his short but successful stint at the club.
Hiddink took over from Luiz Felipe Scolari at a time when the club was in troubled waters and then guided them to the third position in the Premiership and the FA Cup title. Hiddink will now be go back to Russia and coach the national team full-time.
“He’s a great manager and a great man,” Lampard was quoted as saying by The Guardian.
Lampard scored the winning goal in 2-1 win over Everton after Didier Drogba’s header cancelled out Louis Saha’s opener, which was the fastest goal in FA Cup final history.
“It’s a great send-off for him and we’re delighted to give him a trophy,” said Lampard. “It was amazing. After we went 1-0 down we dominated the game. I always felt we could win it and I’m pleased to get the goal that won it.”
Drogba hailed the battling qualities the Blues showed to come back from 1-0 down after Saha scored the fastest goal in FA Cup final history.
“It’s fantastic, I’m delighted,” Drogba said. “I’m really happy to finish the season this way. It was a difficult start but you have to say it was a very good goal. But our strength is to believe in ourselves and our qualities and we played with more confidence. That’s why we won today.”
“I think the discipline between us was always good. You don’t win six or seven trophies in five years if you don’t have discipline in friendship. But the manger has given us an extra bit. We know his qualities.”
- Drogba confirms Chelsea exit - May 22, 2012
- Chelsea on alert eyeing Hiddink's possible return - Mar 23, 2011
- Chelsea beat Everton to win FA Cup - May 31, 2009
- Won't play for another English club: Drogba - May 23, 2012
- Alves angry Barcelona not refuting rumours - Jun 11, 2012
- Adebayor, Terry call for goal-line technology - Apr 16, 2012
- Chelsea confident of getting Hiddink - May 24, 2011
- Terry hails Chelsea's team spirit - Jan 12, 2010
- Champions League win my greatest achievement: Didier Drogba - Jun 17, 2012
- Hiddink expected to join Chelsea soon - Jun 04, 2011
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Lampard vows to continue his goal scoring spree for Chelsea - Aug 20, 2009
- Mancini asks Man City players to unite and lift FA Cup - Apr 15, 2011
- Lampard hails Drogba for Chelsea's historic win - May 20, 2012
- 'Beleaguered' Benitez under pressure as fans want him booted out - Jan 17, 2010
Tags: chelsea, didier drogba, discipline, everton, fa cup final, felipe scolari, final history, frank lampard, great man, hiddink, interim manager, louis saha, luiz felipe, memento, parting gift, premiership, stint, third position, trophies, troubled waters