Lal Masjid to be painted red againNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:14 am ICT by admin
“The government has agreed to restore the original red colour of the mosque,” officials in the Interior Ministry were quoted by the Dawn, as saying.
This decision was taken at a high-level meeting presided over by Secretary Interior Syed Kamal Shah in the Ministry, the officials said, adding that the meeting was attended by the officials of the district administration and representatives of the wife of former Lal Masjid chief cleric Maulana Abdul Aziz, Umme Hassaan, who is heading the mosque management these days.
The officials were quoted as saying that the ministry has tasked the Capital Development Authority (CDA) with repainting the Lal Masjid red.
The mosque management has also been informed that the painting would be undertaken by the CDA, and it should not make any such attempt, the paper said.
The mosque was painted beige after military operation in July to root out militants who had taken sanctuary within its complex.
Over 100 people were killed in the operation, including the cleric of the mosque, Abdul Rashid Qazi.
The Lal Masjid was re-opened on October 3 after a Supreme Court ruling.
An earlier attempt to re-open the mosque, on July 27, failed due to huge protests against President Pervez Musharraf, and a suicide attack that followed near the campus killing 14 people. (ANI)
- Lal Masjid cleric indicted for killing Pakistani soldier - Apr 21, 2011
- Muslim cleric shot dead in Russia - Jun 14, 2011
- Didi desires to daub Kolkata in white and blue - Feb 18, 2012
- 'With 290 suicide attacks, Pakistan suffered most since 9/11' - Sep 09, 2011
- Pakistan Supreme Court grants bail to Lal Masjid cleric - Apr 15, 2009
- Anti-terror court frees former Lal Masjid cleric - Apr 16, 2009
- Former Pak MNA nabbed with Mehsud's letter to ex-ISI official - Jun 28, 2009
- Unpaid Saudi imam locks worshippers out - Aug 30, 2010
- Pakistan, US trying to find solution to drone strikes - Jul 05, 2012
- Dismiss legislator's plea on mosque, court urged - Aug 16, 2012
- Terror bid at Pakistan parliament foiled, two arrested (Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Slice of Mughal history on sale at Sotheby's - Oct 30, 2011
- Construction of mosque stayed, thousand pray (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Ex-PM Gilani's son wins by-poll - Jul 20, 2012
- 17 killed in clashes at Yemen's interior ministry - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: abdul aziz, abdul rashid, capital development, cda, cleric, development authority, district administration, interior ministry, kamal shah, lal, masjid, maulana, military operation, mosque, officials, president pervez musharraf, red colour, suicide attack, taken sanctuary