Lakers in NBA finals after four yearsMay 30th, 2008 - 8:06 pm ICT by admin
New York, May 30 (IANS) Los Angeles Lakers rallied to beat defending-champions San Antonio Spurs and advance to the National Basketball Association (NBA) Finals after a gap of four years. Kobe Bryant scored 39 points, 26 of them coming in the second half, as Lakers bridged a 17-point second-quarter deficit at the Staples Center in Los Angeles Thursday to beat the Spurs 100-92.
The Lakers will now play the winners of the Eastern Conference finals between the Boston Celtics and Pistons. The Celtics have a 3-2 lead and can wrap it up in Detroit with a win. The finals will start June 5.
This will be Lakers’ 29th appearance in the finals in the franchise history and the first since 2004, when it lost in five games to the Detroit Pistons.
The Lakers won the last of their 14 NBA championships in 2002, when they took the title for a third straight year.
Pau Gasol added 12 points and 19 rebounds for the Lakers, and Lamar Odom had 13 points and 8 rebounds as Los Angeles won the best-of-seven Western Conference playoff series in 5 games.
Tim Duncan had a triple-double with 19 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists to lead San Antonio, while Tony Parker had 23 points. Michael Finley finished with 13 points for the Spurs, while Kurt Thomas and Brent Barry both had 11.
- Pau Gasol Steals The Show In NBA Finals Game 7 - Jun 18, 2010
- Houston Rockets Loses To LA Lakers In NBA Opening Day - Oct 27, 2010
- Olympic basketball: Spain storms into final - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain storms into final (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympic basketball: Spain, US set up rematch of Beijing final (Second Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Shannon Brown Steals The Show With His Crazy Dunks - Jun 16, 2010
- LeBron James gets third NBA most valuable player citation - May 13, 2012
- Los Angeles Lakers Get Sweet Revenge On Old Rivals - Jun 18, 2010
- Miami Heat win second NBA title - Jun 22, 2012
- Miami Heat president Riley gets lifetime NBA coaching award - Jun 20, 2012
- Los Angeles Lakers Crush Boston Celtics In Game 6 - Jun 16, 2010
- Los Angeles Lakers win NBA championship - Jun 15, 2009
- NBA Playoffs To Begin On April 17 - Apr 15, 2010
- Lakers knock off Nuggets, return to NBA finals - May 30, 2009
- Thousands Of Fans Attend Los Angeles Lakers Victory Parade - Jun 22, 2010
Tags: boston celtics, brent barry, detroit pistons, eastern conference finals, franchise history, kobe bryant, kurt thomas, lamar odom, los angeles lakers, michael finley, national basketball association, nba championships, nba finals, pau gasol, playoff series, quarter deficit, san antonio spurs, staples center, tim duncan, triple double