Lahiri, Muniyappa close to 2009 Asian Tour cardJanuary 15th, 2009 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rayong (Thailand), Jan 15 (IANS) Indian golfers Anirban Lahiri and C. Muniyappa were close to sealing their full playing rights for the 2009 season, even as three others were within striking distance in the five-round Final Stage at the Asian Tour’s Qualifying School here Thursday. Lahiri and Muniyappa were both one-over 220 at the par-73 layout. While they were tied 33rd, Rahil Gangjee and Amandeep Johl, both at 222, were tied 47th and Firoz Ali (223) was tied 57th.
The top-80 and ties after the fourth round Friday will compete in the all-important fifth round where the top-40 and ties will earn the Asian Tour card and the playing rights for the 2009 season.
Colombia’s Eduardo Herrera grabbed a two stroke clubhouse lead in the third round of the Final Stage at the Asian Tour’s Qualifying School presented by Sports Authority of Thailand on Thursday.
Herrera, 43, recorded a four-under-par 69 for a 211 total at the St Andrews 2000 course for a two stroke advantage over England’s Ally Mellor who posted a 70.
Compatriot John Parry was even-par after 17 holes before poor visibility due to darkness stopped play at 6:20pm.
Local golfer Sattaya Supupramai shot a 71 and was in a tie for third spot alongside Japan’s Sushi Ishigaki and Matthew Griffin of Australia who both recorded similar 72s. Australia’s Jason Norris was among those in a tie for sixth place after a 75.
- Muniyappa, Lahiri in with a chance of qualifying for Asian Tour - Jan 17, 2009
- Lahiri moves to tied sixth in Selangor Masters - Aug 05, 2010
- Johl, Muniyappa and Lahiri earn full card for 2009 Asian Tour - Jan 18, 2009
- Lahiri best among Indians at Final Q-School golf tourney - Jan 14, 2009
- Bhullar gets a hole-in-one, moves up to 15th with Lahiri - Jul 30, 2010
- Gurki Shergill best Indian at Brunei Open golf - Jul 29, 2010
- Lahiri tied second at Selangor Masters, Gangjee 14th - Aug 04, 2010
- Ajeetesh, Jaini finish third and fourth at Sail Open golf - Mar 25, 2011
- Lahiri shares lead in qualifying for British Open - Mar 01, 2012
- Bhullar shoots 69 at Macau Open - Sep 11, 2009
- Bhullar, Sujjan make cut in Indonesian Masters - Apr 22, 2011
- Shiv Kapur drops to tied sixth in Cambodia - Nov 21, 2009
- Lahiri best Indian at 12th in Black Mountain Masters - Mar 27, 2009
- Kapur, Bhullar tied 34th at Ballantine's golf - Apr 24, 2010
- Queen's Cup: Lahiri, Himmat shoot even par in first round - Aug 13, 2009
Tags: ally, amandeep, anirban, asian tour, clubhouse, compatriot, eduardo herrera, firoz ali, indian golfers, ishigaki, john parry, matthew griffin, mellor, poor visibility, qualifying school, rahil gangjee, sports authority, st andrews, striking distance, top 80