Lack of seats force passengers to stand on Tatarstan Airlines flightSeptember 30th, 2010 - 6:48 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Sept 30 (ANI): Six passengers on-board a Tatarstan Airlines flight were allegedly forced to stand because there were not enough seats in the plane.
The six are said to have stood for the entire five-hour flight from Turkey to Russia, except for when the plane hit turbulence, forcing the passengers to sit in the aisle without seatbelts, oxygen masks or life vests.
The passengers were subjected to ’standing room only’ after the flight from Antalya to Ekaterinburg was replaced by another aircraft with fewer seats just before take-off.
“The adults had no choice but to fly standing for five hours. When the plane flew through turbulence, they went from standing to sitting in the aisle where naturally they had no safety belts,” News.com.au quoted one passenger as telling the Daily Mail.
Passengers said they were told by airline crew to put children on their lap - but the children were too big.
The incident is believed to have occurred on September 24 and was revealed by angry passengers who have demanded 4,900 dollars each in compensation.
But they were only offered 212 dollars by Anex-Tour, which booked many passengers on the flight.
An Anex-Tour spokesperson defended the airline, saying the passengers could have waited for a later flight.
“People had a choice to fly on that plane standing up, or wait seven hours for another plane. All the tourists decided to fly back despite uncomfortable conditions,” Evgenia Fedorova said.
Tatarstan Airlines did not deny the incident occurred and a spokesperson said the company will not share any details until everything is clarified.
“Our own investigation of this accident is about to begin,” they said.
Aviation regulators are said to be probing the incident. (ANI)
- Pakistani hurt as flight hits turbulence - Aug 13, 2011
- Two-metre tall US passenger forced to stand on flight due to his height - Jan 10, 2011
- Bat on a Delta plane terrifies passengers - Aug 11, 2011
- US airline 'apologises' for booting tall passenger from plane - Apr 06, 2011
- Air Canada passengers burned during turbulence - Sep 20, 2011
- At least 21 people injured on Vietnam Airlines flight to Paris - Oct 20, 2010
- Passenger dies mid-air during Mexico-Belgium flight - May 23, 2012
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- 12 hurt as US flight hits turbulence - Apr 05, 2012
- Qantas Airplane Hit By Break Snag At Melbourne - Nov 30, 2010
- Air India turbulence injures passengers, probe ordered (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Mid-air passenger fight forces Swiss plane to return - Sep 04, 2012
- Southwest Airlines grounds dozens of planes after in-flight fuselage rupture - Apr 02, 2011
- Passengers on 'direct' flight to Morocco stage mutiny after pilot says it will stop twice - Dec 06, 2010
- Pilot suspended as severe turbulence hits plane on flight to India - Sep 02, 2009
Tags: adults, airline crew, airlines flight, aisle, antalya, aviation, daily mail, ekaterinburg, fly, life vests, melbourne, news com au, oxygen masks, regulators, seven hours, spokesperson, tatarstan airlines, tourists, turbulence, uncomfortable conditions