Labrador Retriever named America’s top dogJanuary 27th, 2011 - 5:43 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Jan 27 (ANI): The Labrador Retriever has been named as America’s top dog for the 20th consecutive year by the American Kennel Club.
The rankings remained largely unchanged from last year with the German Shepherd taking second place, followed by the Yorkshire Terrier in third, the Beagle in fourth and the Golden Retriever in fifth.
Most surprising was a jump in popularity for the Bulldog, which ended up sixth, its highest ranking in a century.
“Bob was the first AKC registered Bulldog in 1886, and today the breed enjoys its highest ranking in 100 years at number six,” Stuff.co.nz quoted American Kennel Club spokeswoman Lisa Peterson as saying.
The Boxer, the Dachshund, the Poodle and the diminutive Shih Tzu rounded out the top 10 most popular dogs in the list of 167 breeds.
The ranking is based on the number of registrations for the breed with the American Kennel Club. (ANI)
- Over 400 dogs participate in Ludhiana's dog show - Nov 29, 2010
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
- American Kennel Club Recognizes Three New Breeds - Jan 29, 2011
- About 280 dogs participate in a dog show in Chennai - Oct 05, 2008
- New dog breeds recognized by AKC - Jun 30, 2010
- Three New Dog Breeds Added To AKC Registry - Jun 30, 2010
- Border collies top list of smartest pooches, Afghans dumbest - Sep 07, 2010
- "Leonberger" Dog And "Cane Corso" Joins AKC Family - Jun 30, 2010
- Using dogs to 'sniff out' wildlife - Jan 12, 2011
- American Kennel Club Welcomes Three New Dog Breeds - Jun 30, 2010
- Sadie: "Best In Show" In Westminster Dog Show 2010 - Feb 17, 2010
- Docile dogs live longer - Apr 28, 2010
- Young, unsupervised kids 'at highest risk for dog bites' - Nov 10, 2010
- Sadie Declared Winner Of National Dog Show 2009 - Nov 27, 2009
- Playback bark sends neighbours to court - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: 100 years, akc, american kennel club, beagle, boxer, bulldog, dachshund, german shepherd, golden retriever, labrador retriever, lisa peterson, number six, poodle, registrations, shih tzu, spokeswoman, top dog, wellington, yorkshire, yorkshire terrier