Labour spent government fund to teach officials drumsAugust 30th, 2011 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 30 (IANS) The former Labour government in Britain spent 38,000 pounds (around $62,000) in five years to teach officials of the Foreign Office how to play drums, a media report said Tuesday.
In the two-hour drum-playing sessions, the officials played using everything, including dustbins, broom handles, plastic tubs and African tribal drums, The Sun reported.
From 2006 to 2010, the Foreign Office paid 38,000 pounds to event organisers Poisson Rouge.
The highest amount spent in a year was was 26,245 pounds in 2008-09, when David Miliband was foreign secretary.
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs officials also learnt drum playing.
Tory MP Charlie Elphicke, who uncovered the details, said: “It’s no surprise Labour maxed out the nation’s credit card when they allowed wasteful spending like this.”
- British MPs tweet, and how! - Aug 01, 2011
- Girl spends 38,000 pounds on mom's cards - Jul 21, 2011
- Two Indian-origin MPs face suspension from Lords - Oct 17, 2010
- British defence ministry spent 50 mn pounds to host VIPs - Mar 08, 2011
- Swraj Paul, Brown's eye poked in Britain's race for power - Oct 11, 2009
- David Miliband named second sexiest Brit MP - Sep 21, 2010
- British bank chief's high bonus criticized (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- After Labor leadership defeat, David Miliband signs up for Sunderland FC - Jan 12, 2011
- David Miliband dismisses talk of move to Washington - Dec 30, 2010
- Britain bribes foreign prisoners to return homes - Nov 11, 2010
- Indian-origin British MP faces electoral probe - Sep 15, 2011
- Labour looking for coalition as exit polls predict a hung parliament - May 07, 2010
- Labour MP distracts members at PM's Questions with low-cut blouse - Apr 29, 2011
- Culkin to exhibit paintings - Sep 11, 2012
- Sting's wife offers bidders tantric sex stories recited by him - May 07, 2010
Tags: broom, credit card, david miliband, environment food, event organisers, foreign office, government fund, labour government, london, maxed out, plastic tubs, poisson rouge, rural affairs, sessions, sun, surprise, tory mp, tribal drums