Labour MP Vaz claims 75 K pounds as expenses for a flat, 12 miles from homeMay 9th, 2009 - 6:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 9 (ANI): Senior Labour backbencher Keith Vaz has claimed over 75,500 pounds in expenses for a flat in Westminster despite his family home being a 1.15 million pounds house just 12 miles from parliament. According to The Telegraph, his living arrangements will leave him open to the same questions asked of Tony McNulty, the Home Office Minister, who claimed for a house about the same distance away lived in by his parents.
Vaz, the chairman of the home affairs select committee, also switched his designated second home from the 545,000 pounds flat to a house in his Leicester East constituency and back again in the space of a year.
Vaz’s main home is a house in Stanmore, northwest London, that he bought with his wife Maria for 1.15 million pounds in November 2005. They live there with their two children. Before then they lived in another house in Stanmore.
Their current house is less than a mile from Stanmore underground station, which takes passengers directly to Westminster on the Jubilee Line.
According to Transport for London, the 14-stop journey should take about 37 minutes. A car journey straight down the A5 should take about 40 minutes. (ANI)
- No cause for alarm for Indian students: British MP Vaz - Feb 13, 2012
- Secret to a happy marriage: Get angry - Aug 04, 2012
- Why getting mad at your spouse is important - Jan 08, 2011
- Getting mad at your spouse may be the secret to a happy married life - Jan 30, 2011
- Keith Vaz wins in British polls - May 07, 2010
- Nintendo Wii helps stroke patients recover - Jul 21, 2012
- Bag containing over Rs.5 lakh stolen from bank - Dec 06, 2010
- London riots report by year-end: Keith Vaz - Aug 18, 2011
- Queen Elizabeth II visits Prince Philip in hospital - Jun 07, 2012
- Robbie Williams' father rejects mansion offer - Jul 11, 2011
- Queen's husband Prince Philip hospitalized due to infection - Jun 05, 2012
- US woman who sent back Russian boy to pay $150,000 - May 18, 2012
- Robin Williams praised for 'tame' performance in Broadway debut - Apr 03, 2011
- Sven-Goran Eriksson quits Leicester - Oct 25, 2011
- British MP's political outing in Goa draws flak - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: a5, car journey, east constituency, home affairs select committee, home london, home office minister, jubilee line, keith vaz, labour mp, northwest london, parents, parliament, stanmore, telegraph, tony mcnulty, underground station, westminster, wife maria