Kyrgyz president signs decree shutting strategic US airbaseFebruary 20th, 2009 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Bishkek, Feb 20 (RIA Novosti) Kyrgyzstan’s President Kurmanbek Bakiyev Friday signed a decree to close a US airbase used since 2001 to support NATO operations in neighbouring Afghanistan, his office said in a statement.
On Thursday Kyrgyzstan’s single-chamber legislature approved the closure. The move was supported by 78 lawmakers, with one voting against. The pro-presidential Ak Zhol party has 70 seats in the 90-member legislature.
Now that Bakiyev has signed the bill, the Kyrgyz government will notify the US, giving it 180 days to withdraw some 1,200 personnel, aircraft and other equipments from the airbase, the statement said.
Bakiyev announced plans to close the only US base in Central Asia after talks in Moscow early February, when he secured more than $2 billion in aid and loans from Russia.
Both Russia and Kyrgyzstan have denied any link between the aid deal and the closure of the Manas base, located near the Kyrgyz capital.
Bakiyev said Washington had refused to pay more for the base. He also linked the move to the conduct of US military personnel, including the killing of a Kyrgyz national by a US soldier in December 2006.
US Defence Secretary Robert Gates hinted at an informal meeting of NATO defence ministers Thursday that Washington could pay more rent for the base.
However, he said the US would not squander taxpayers’ money simply to keep the base intact and that it may look at alternative sites.
The decision to close the base comes as US President Barack Obama announced he would send an additional 17,000 soldiers to Afghanistan to fight Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters. The move will increase the US contingent to more than 50,000 personnel.
Russia, which has an airbase in Kant, a short distance from the Manas base, recently said it was ready to allow Washington to use that base for non-military supplies to Afghanistan.
- Kyrgyz parliament votes to close US air base - Feb 19, 2009
- Kyrgyz activists demand closure of US airbase - Mar 16, 2012
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
- Russia to consider military aid for Kyrgyzstan - Jun 14, 2010
- Kyrgyz parliamentary committee approves closure of US base - Feb 09, 2009
- US airbase in Kyrgyzstan to have less troops - Jul 04, 2011
- New Kyrgyz president calls for closure of US airbase - Nov 01, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan wants US out of Manas airbase in 2014 - Feb 21, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan prepares for Russian troops as toll rises (Lead) - Jun 14, 2010
- US, Kyrgyzstan agree to turn Manas base into 'transit centre' - Jun 23, 2009
- Upheaval in Kyrgyzstan can hamper US military supply to Afghanistan - Apr 08, 2010
- Kyrgyz opposition capture capital after uprising - Apr 08, 2010
- US to give $30 mn to upgrade Kyrgyz air control system - Aug 07, 2011
- Kyrgyzstan to demand closure of US base on its territory - Feb 04, 2009
- U.S. Kyrgyz airbase use fuelled repressive, corrupt rule of former Prez Bakiyev: Expert - Apr 23, 2010
Tags: barack obama, central asia, defence secretary, kurmanbek bakiyev, kyrgyz capital, kyrgyz government, kyrgyzstan, lawmakers, manas, member legislature, military personnel, military supplies, nato defence ministers, nato operations, neighbouring afghanistan, president signs, ria novosti, robert gates, secretary robert, single chamber