Kuznetsova ends Sharapova’s 18-match win streakMarch 22nd, 2008 - 12:43 pm ICT by admin
Indian Wells (California), March 22 (DPA) Svetlana Kuznetsova ended the 2008 win streak of Maria Sharapova at 18 matches as she knocked her fellow Russian out 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 at the Indian Wells Masters here Friday. The semi-final defeat in well over two hours brought to an end the golden run of Sharapova, who won titles at the Australian Open and Doha.
Sharapova fought to level the sets after dropping the first, but was run down by the second seed in the second. Kuznetsova will await the winner from the Serbian showdown between top seed Ana Ivanovic and number three Jelena Jankovic.
Sharapova came to the court having won 19 of her last 20 matches against compatriots and standing 4-3 against Kuznetsova, a 2004 US Open champion and finalist at the Grand Slam last autumn.
- Serbia-Czech Republic in Fed Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic, Federer, Williams advance as retirements continue - Sep 04, 2011
- Venus Williams pulls out of China Open due to knee injury - Oct 02, 2010
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Ten women champions at French Open - Jun 10, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- US Open: Wozniacki rallies; Federer, Williams cruise to quarters - Sep 06, 2011
- US Open: Federer, Murray drawn to meet in semis - Aug 24, 2012
- Wozniacki, Arzarenko advance into US Open second round - Aug 31, 2011
- French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes out - Jun 03, 2012
- Sharapova ousts Lisicki for Clijsters quarterfinal - Aug 02, 2012