Kugan’’s family shows no confidence in Health Ministry inquiryMarch 12th, 2009 - 5:47 pm ICT by ANI
Petaling Jaya, Mar 12 (ANI): The family of A. Kugan, whose custodial death had created a public uproar in Malaysia, has no confidence in the independent inquiry to be initiated by the Health Ministry.
The Star quoted the family’’s lawyer, N. Surendran, as saying that the family wants the Malaysia Medical Council (MMC) to conduct a probe, adding that the Health Ministry is biased in the matter.
Kugan’’s mother, N. Indra has lodged a report last week against Serdang Hospital and Prof Dr Abdul Karim Tajuddin, who conducted the first post-mortem.
The first post-mortem report said he had died due to fluid in his lungs.
The second post-mortem report, which was conducted on the request of the family by pathologist Dr Prashant N. Samberkar from the University Malaya Medical Centre, stated that Kugan died from being repeatedly beaten.
The USJ police authorities had arrested the 22-year-old Kugan on January 14 for suspected involvement in a car theft syndicate. The police had later recovered 19 stolen luxury cars.
Kugan died a few days later during police interrogation. (ANI)
- Deceased Malay Indian''s family accuses hospital for concealing cause of death - Mar 07, 2009
- Kugan's family sues Malaysian cops to recover items - May 29, 2009
- Malaysian Health Ministry promises fair post-mortem inquiry into Malay Indian's death - Apr 20, 2009
- Malaysian Indian Congress to seek Oz specialists' advice on Kugan's death - Apr 09, 2009
- Kugans family to send his body samples to Aussie lab - Feb 06, 2009
- Cop to be charged in Malay Indian's custodial death - Sep 29, 2009
- Indian-origin doctor not fit to practice: British tribunal - Aug 22, 2012
- Malaysias CID director says no cover up in Kugan case - Mar 06, 2009
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Malaysian Indian youth laid to rest after custody death (Lead) - Jan 28, 2009
- Custodial death victim died of internal injuries: Autopsy - Feb 22, 2012
- Sri Lankan dies trying buried alive record - Mar 05, 2012
- Six of family in Agra killed in property dispute - May 09, 2012
- Former DMK minister's brother murdered in Tiruchirapalli - Mar 29, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh rights panel takes up killed doctor's case - Jun 24, 2011
Tags: abdul karim, car theft, custodial death, health ministry, indra, kugan, luxury cars, malaya medical centre, medical council, pathologist, police authorities, police interrogation, post mortem report, prashant, public uproar, serdang hospital, surendran, tajuddin, university malaya medical, university malaya medical centre