Krishna meets China’s would-be PMJune 6th, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 6 (IANS) Indian External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Wednesday met China’s Vice Premier Li Keqiang, who is expected to succeed Premier Wen Jiabao next year, and discussed a host of bilateral issues.
Krishna and Li met in the Great Hall of the People on the sidelines of the summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
They reviewed trust-building initiatives sealed in March, including the proposal for a maritime dialogue, the border mechanism and intensification of economic and trade ties.
“It is an opportunity to enhance cooperation under the SCO but also bilaterally,” Li said after shaking hands with Krishna.
Krishna said before the two sat down for talks: “This is my second visit to China. When the Chinese president came to India for BRICS, 2012 was declared the year of India-China friendship.
“I am overwhelmingly impressed by the amount of progress I see every time I visit Beijing,” added Krishna.
The meeting marks a series of engagements for India to get an insight into the thinking of the next generation of Chinese leadership which will take charge after a leadership succession later this year.
Li is expected to carry forward the upswing in bilateral ties witnessed during the tenure of President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen.
In January 2013, Hu will make way for Xi Jinping, China’s current vice-president, and Li will succeed Wen.
President Pratibha Patil met Xi in China in 2010.
- India touches base with future China PM, maps future ties (Roundup) - Jun 06, 2012
- Krishna meets next China PM, maps future ties (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- India plays down travel advisory, says no contentious issues with China - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian Navy ships in China next week, to expand strategic trust - Jun 07, 2012
- India seeks China's support for SCO membership - Jun 06, 2012
- China's top political advisory group vows to promote economy - Mar 03, 2012
- China vows to promote economy, stability (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- China seeks strong ties with Russia - Dec 12, 2011
- Putin to pay state visit to China - May 13, 2012
- China, Britain to strengthen strategic relation - Sep 17, 2011
- Dalai shadow on China's future leader's visit - Nov 27, 2011
- Chinese vice-president meets US president - Feb 15, 2012
- US vice president to visit China, Japan - Aug 05, 2011
- Next Chinese leader 'redder than reds': Wikileaks - Dec 19, 2010
- US vice president reaches China on official visit - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: bilateral issues, bilateral ties, bilaterally, brics, chinese leadership, chinese president, current vice president, external affairs minister, hu jintao, india china, intensification, krishna krishna, leadership succession, li keqiang, president hu jintao, shaking hands, shanghai cooperation organisation, trade ties, upswing, xi jinping