Kosovo plans to open 20 embassies abroad this yearApril 12th, 2008 - 1:57 pm ICT by admin
Belgrade, April 12 (RIA Novosti) Kosovo authorities plan to open 20 embassies abroad, the deputy prime minister of the self-proclaimed state, Hajredin Kuci, said. Kosovo unilaterally declared its independence Feb 17, adopting a new national flag and national emblem.
The province’s sovereignty has so far been formally recognised by 36 countries, including the US and most European Union (EU) members. Russia and China have consistently backed Belgrade’s position that Kosovo must remain a part of Serbia.
While speaking to journalists Friday, Kuci said the country plans to open embassies in the US, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Albania and Croatia.
Kosovo’s Prime Minister Hashim Thaci Thursday said that the first three diplomatic missions will be opened in Washington, New York and Brussels immediately after the new constitution takes effect June 15.
The annual staffing cost for just one diplomatic mission is expected to be around $370,000 for “the world’s newest state”.
The US, Germany and Switzerland have so far opened embassies in Kosovo. Many countries, including Russia, have sent diplomatic missions to Pristina, capital of Kosovo.
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- South Sudan to open embassies in 21 countries - Jun 19, 2011
- Israeli police arrest 10 for organ trafficking - May 26, 2012
- Czech Republic buys armoured car for ambassador in Syria - Aug 04, 2012
- EU welcomes establishment of new government in Kosovo - Feb 24, 2011
- Clinton says diplomacy with Iran not infinite - Apr 05, 2012
- Russia, North Korea mark 63rd anniversary of diplomatic ties - Oct 20, 2011
- Russian embassy in Libya stormed over veto on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- International ties may improve due to Wikileaks: Medvedev - Jan 27, 2011
- UEFA proceeds English FA over fans' pitch invasion - Jun 17, 2012
- Anti-Assad protesters attack Russian embassy in London - Aug 17, 2012
- England rises to 3rd spot in FIFA rankings - Aug 08, 2012
- Kosovo PM, one of the 'biggest fish' in organized crime: NATO document - Jan 25, 2011
- US to build new embassy building in Moscow - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: albania, belgrade, brussels, constitution, croatia, deputy prime minister, diplomatic mission, diplomatic missions, embassies in the us, european union, france germany, hashim thaci, journalists, kosovo, kuci, national flag, ria novosti, serbia, sovereignty, us germany