Kosovo officially declares independence from SerbiaFebruary 17th, 2008 - 11:04 pm ICT by admin
Pristina (Kosovo), Feb 17 (Xinhua) Kosovo officially declared independence from Serbia Sunday. Kosovo’s parliament voted to adopt a declaration of independence at an extraordinary session on the province’s independence from Serbia.
“Kosovo is a republic - an independent, democratic and sovereign state,” parliament speaker Jakup Krasniqi said at the meeting.
In his speech, Kosovo Prime Minister Hashim Thaci said, “From today onwards, Kosovo is proud, independent and free.”
Kosovo is the cultural heartland of Serbia. But most of Kosovo’s two million people are ethnic Albanians, who have been impatient with delays in the proclamation of independence.
It has been under UN administration since mid-1999, after NATO launched air strikes to drive out Serbian forces from the province.
In April 2007, UN special envoy Martti Ahtisaari recommended internationally supervised independence for Kosovo.
The Ahtisaari plan was supported by the US and the European Union, but opposed by Serbia and Russia.
Russia, a permanent member of the UN Security Council, has warned that Kosovo independence would set a dangerous precedent for regions across the world with ethnic tensions.
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Kosovo passes new constitution amid uncertainty over its future - Jun 16, 2008
- Bill Clinton honoured by grateful Kosovo - Nov 02, 2009
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Ban's Kosovo plan angers both Belgrade and Pristina - Jun 14, 2008
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Kosovo parliament to adopt new constitution Wednesday - Apr 09, 2008
- Serbia arrests 10 for 1999 Kosovo killings - Dec 27, 2008
- Kosovo PM, one of the 'biggest fish' in organized crime: NATO document - Jan 25, 2011
- China calls for dialogue in solving Kosovo issue - Aug 22, 2012
- EU welcomes establishment of new government in Kosovo - Feb 24, 2011
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- Kosovo parliament adopts constitution - Apr 09, 2008
Tags: air strikes, albanians, dangerous precedent, declaration of independence, free kosovo, hashim thaci, heartland, kosovo, kosovo independence, krasniqi, parliament speaker, pristina kosovo, russia russia, serbia, serbian forces, sovereign state, state parliament, two million, un security council, xinhua