Kofi Annan quits as UN-Arab League envoyAugust 3rd, 2012 - 1:26 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, Aug 2 (IANS) The UN-Arab League joint special envoy to Syria, Kofi Annan has announced about leaving his post, BBC reported Thursday.
Annan, in a news conference, said the Syrian people “desperately need action” but criticised the UN Security Council for “finger-pointing and name-calling”.
Annan authored a six-point peace plan for Syria aimed at bringing an end to the fighting. But the plan was never fully adhered to by either side — the Syrian government and the opposition — and the violence has continued to escalate.
Speaking to reporters in Geneva, Annan said the increasing militarisation of the Syrian conflict and the “clear lack of unity” in the Security Council had “fundamentally changed the circumstances for the effective exercise of my role”.
The problems were “compounded by the disunity of the international community”, he said.
The Syrian conflict, which began in March 2011, has already claimed up to 20,000 lives, according to Syrian activists, and the international community has failed to persuade the Assad government and opposition forces to stop fighting and begin dialogue.
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- Strengthen ceasefire in Syria: Annan - Apr 23, 2012
- Ban Ki-moon welcomes resolution to send observers to Syria (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- UN chief asks Syria to end violence before 300 monitors arrive - Apr 27, 2012
- US blames Russia, China for Annan mission failure - Aug 03, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Syrian ceasefire first Step of Annan's plan: US - Apr 13, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Russia calls for UN monitors to stay in Syria - Aug 03, 2012
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- Russia supports Annan's mediation efforts on Syria : Putin - Jul 18, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Syria welcomes UN monitors, pitches for neutral BRICS - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: activists, arab league, assad, aug 2, bbc, circumstances, conflict, dialogue, disunity, finger pointing, geneva, kofi annan, news conference, opposition forces, point peace plan, syria, syrian government, un security council, unity, violence