KNP delegation meets senior Indian diplomatMarch 17th, 2010 - 12:55 pm ICT by ANI
By Cynthia Chandran
London, Mar.17 (ANI): Kashmir National Party leaders held a meeting with Syed Asif Ibrahim, Minister (Coordination) at the High Commission of India in London.
The meeting took place on Wednesday at the India House in London.
The KNP is the first political party which is based in England and in Pakistani Administered Kashmir to have openly met the Indian officials.
The aim of the meeting was to start a process of dialogue, as we are the main party to the dispute and we want to take this initiative to contact all the countries who are directly connected with the Kashmir dispute.
The meeting discussed various issues related to the Kashmir dispute and peace and security of South Asia. The meeting discussed issues related to terrorism, extremism, communalism and human rights; and looked at ways of promoting the peace process and building bridges of understanding.
The meeting also looked at the problems of people of Jammu and Kashmir on both sides of the LOC; and problems of Kashmiri Diaspora and how to facilitate the visa process that the people of the State could interact with each other. It was emphasised that Kashmiri culture of peace, tolerance and coexistence should be promoted.
The KNP delegation fully supported the peace process between India and Pakistan as that is the only way forward to resolve disputes. However, they emphasised that the Kashmir dispute is not bilateral in nature; hence the people of Jammu and Kashmir must be made part of the peace process.
The KNP delegation said the Kashmir dispute is not religious, but political in nature. The KNP believes in liberal, democratic and secular politics and wants to support all those forces which believe in the above ideals.
The KNP delegation consisted of the following: Abbas Butt, Ch Sarwar Hussain, Nawaz Majid, Asim Mirza, Syed Zil - E - Naqvi and Dr.Shabir Choudhry. (ANI)
- Terrorism must be opposed and crushed, KNP - May 10, 2010
- KNP leaders meet British Foreign Secretary, urge end to rights abuses in Kashmir - Sep 09, 2010
- KNP to hold Black Day on Oct.22 - Sep 08, 2009
- KNP leaders to visit Pakistani Administered Kashmir - Apr 14, 2009
- Tribal invasion was unprovoked aggression against J and K: Black Day conference - Oct 20, 2009
- KNP delegation explained real situation of Kashmir to Pakistani Envoy - Sep 06, 2008
- Pak to continue moral, diplomatic support to Kashmiris - Oct 10, 2010
- We are urged to join this Pakistan - Jan 20, 2011
- KNP will work with like minded people to promote united and independent Kashmir - Nov 13, 2008
- Kashmir must join India-Pakistan dialogue: Separatists (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Kashmiri parties hold Pak Govt responsible for terrorism in valley - Oct 19, 2009
- Cutting out a role for China - Nov 23, 2009
- All-party team in Kashmir, gets cold shoulder from separatists (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Pakistan observes Kashmir Solidarity Day today - Feb 05, 2011
- Mirwaiz, Malik not to meet MPs' team, list dialogue conditions (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: asif, building bridges, chandran, communalism, culture of peace, high commission of india, high commission of india in london, india and pakistan, indian diplomat, indian officials, jammu and kashmir, kashmir dispute, meeting took place, naqvi, nawaz, peace process, sarwar, secular politics, shabir, zil