Knock Knock - Here comes the Brazilian Wandering Spider!March 20th, 2009 - 6:15 pm ICT by GD
Knock Knock, a new visitor may be round the corner. Some one you were least expecting to find either near your grocery store or market place. Yes, the deadly Brazilian Wandering Spider. This is an extremely aggressive and poisonous species originating from Brazil.
Reports in today’s daily have mentioned of the deadly spider being found in one of the local grocery stores in Tulsa Sunday. The deadly Brazilian spider had apparently found its way in a batch of Honduran bananas. There have been cases reported earlier also of spiders finding their way in to plastic bags used for packaging grapes and other fruits.
The Brazilian Wandering Spider is also referred to as “Banana Spider” as it is most commonly found in a shipment of bananas. A bite from this spider can take out a human being is 25 mins if not treated immediately. Antidotes do exist but are not readily available due to the scarcity of these spiders in this part of the world.
Brazilian Wandering Spiders can grow to have a leg span of upto 4 to 5 inches. There are extremely fast moving and have distinctive red jaws that are displayed when they are angered. They usually feed on crickets, large insects, lizards and mice and are called “Wandering” because they do not reside in a web but wander on the jungle floors making them deadly dangerous.
Of all the species of “Brazilian Wandering Spiders” the Brazilian Huntsman is the most venomous spider in the world. These spiders have a life cycle of 1- 2 years and kill more people than any other species. So, look around and be observant to the presence of such a predator.
- Spider bite can trigger four-hour long erections - Mar 08, 2011
- UK shop worker comes face to face with a venomous spider - Feb 23, 2012
- Spider venom 'could be the new Viagra' - Mar 08, 2011
- World's first eyeless spider discovered in Laos cave - Aug 10, 2012
- Fear of poisonous attacks leads to spider killing in Assam - Jun 06, 2012
- Is Spider venom better than viagra? - Feb 24, 2011
- Lizard venom may provide drugs to fight hypertension - Dec 07, 2010
- Male wolf spiders 'mate with virgins and cannibalise older females' - Apr 13, 2011
- Tropical blueberry is the ultimate super fruit - Apr 28, 2011
- New family of fierce spiders discovered - Aug 20, 2012
- Killer catfish exist and in large numbers - Dec 11, 2009
- 49-million years old spider now gets 3-D makeover - May 19, 2011
- New spider with fearsome claws found in US cave - Aug 18, 2012
- Lizards too have family values - Oct 09, 2010
- 5 foot lizard caught in California - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: banana spider, bananas, brazil reports, brazilian wandering spider, brazilian wandering spiders, crickets, grapes, grocery store, huntsman, jaws, knock knock, leg span, life cycle, lizards, local grocery stores, plastic bags, poisonous species, scarcity, tulsa sunday, venomous spider