Knight Riders looking for some luck against Mumbai IndiansApril 30th, 2009 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
East London, April 30 (IANS) Troubled Kolkata Knight Riders would be hoping for some luck against Mumbai Indians in their Indian Premier League (IPL) match here Friday.
The last time the two team met, Knight Riders were at the receiving end of two stalwarts of Mumbai Indians — Sanath Jayasuriya and Sachin Tendulkar — and slumped to a humiliating 92-run defeat.
For record, Mumbai Indians have won all the three matches both teams have played in the IPL.
Knight Riders have managed a single win from six matches and are lying at the bottom of the league while Mumbai Indians are in the fifth spot with two wins from five matches.
They came close to win against Bangalore Royal Challengers but lost a last-over thriller. Skipper Brendon McCullum’s decision to go for a spinner in the last over in two matches has backfired.
Knight Riders will be without big-hitting Chris Gayle, who has performed well in the tournament.
The West Indies captain has flown back to London for the first Test against England, starting May 6.
Gayle’s absence is likely to be a problem for the Knight Riders at the top of the batting order because McCullum is yet to fire.
But the presence of South African wicket-keeper Morne van Wyk will surely bring some stability in the middle order.
Mumbai Indians, too, lost a close contest against Kings XI Punjab. They would hope hope to return to winning ways.
South African batting sensation Jean Paul Duminy scored a composed half-century against Kings XI and almost took the team to victory single-handedly.
Their bowlers are also in fine touch. Fast bowlers Zaheer Khan and Lasith Malinga will look to carry on their superb form.
- Kings XI Punjab opt to bat against Knight Riders - Apr 18, 2012
- Super Kings opt to bat against Knight Riders - Apr 30, 2012
- Knight Riders cruise to eight-wicket win over Kings XI Punjab (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- RCB hopes to build winning momentum (Preview) - Apr 09, 2012
- Knight Riders beat Pune Warriors to finish as second-placed team (Lead) - May 20, 2012
- Super Kings opt to field against Knight Riders - May 14, 2012
- Daredevils blown away by Gayle storm, hopes alive for Royal Challengers (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Knight Riders set 159-run target for Super Kings - May 14, 2012
- Knight Riders beat Daredevils, qualify for main IPL final(lead) - May 23, 2012
- Pressure on Super Kings against Knight Riders - Apr 29, 2012
- Aged Royals and Knights battle it out at Eden Gardens (Preview) - Apr 12, 2012
- Gambhir on rampage, but Knight Riders restricted to 158/6 (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Knight Riders edge past Warriors by 7 runs (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Stars to watch out for in IPL-V - Apr 03, 2012
- Bisla family rejoices in son's feat - May 28, 2012
Tags: bowlers, challengers, chris gayle, east london, first test, jayasuriya, knight riders, lasith malinga, mumbai, premier league, sachin tendulkar, sanath jayasuriya, skipper, spinner, stalwarts, van wyk, west indies, wicket keeper, winning ways, zaheer khan